8/1/12....QOTW...Personalities.....

Community Leader
8/1/12....QOTW...Personalities.....
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 12:23pm

Hello everyone...and Welcome to August!! I can't believe the year is over half over....and Summer will soon be done. Even though it stays really warm here through September I still hate the fact that the days are going to get shorter.

One of my trainers told me that he is thinking about getting a dog from an Aussie rescue. He lives with his GF and they now have two small dogs. He was asking my opinion on Aussies and I told him that, as long as he gives his dog a "job" to keep her happy, he shouldn't have a problem. He was concerned about how the new dog would fit in with his two current dogs. I told him that...you never know. Dogs have personalities just like humans. Some dogs love all dogs, some dogs love some dogs and some dogs don't care for other dogs at all.

Cleo fit in really well to our household; she became close to ^Samantha^ right away. And she loves all the dogs at the park; some more than others.

What personality traits do your furkids have?

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 3:39pm
Faith is the oldest and lived with us about six months before the other two arrived on the scene although she may have "known" them as she was kept in the same room as mothers and kittens, even though she had been spayed. She is a loving and playful cat but on her own terms... Having been chattery raised, she wasn't truly socialized as a kitten.

Kathy is even more independent than Faith ... She dislikes her brother Dominic and treats Faith like she wants to be her kitten. Kathy is greedy and lives to be fed. She is the talker of the three, and leads in defense of territory and in hunts for bugs and spiders!

Dominic is Kathy's litter mate and while he is the most cuddly of the three, he is extremely shy and hides whenever the doorbell rings and won't come out of hiding when someone not family is in the house. He still thinks he's male although, like his sister has been neutered, and so isn't appreciated by either Faith (who won't stay on the same bed or couch with him) or Kathy (who dislikes intensely being treated as an "available" female!). He won't defend territory but stands behind his sister in all confrontations!

it took a while to get all three to like us as fur parents (again, being cattery raised, they were tolerant of being handled but fidn't respond to being called and weren't at all fond of being touched or petted). It has taken years to get so they want our attention even a little bit. They tolerated each other from the start, and seem to still prefer the company of each other to us...

Community Leader
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 11:58am

I've never had cats but I know that their personalities are usually very different from most dogs.  My sister has always had cats; she now has two that were littermates.  But their personalities are very different.  Whenever I've visited Bogart, the male, will be very wary and will not approach me at all.  Sable, the female, will be wary at first, but will then allow me to rub her head....until she tires of that and then heads off to her own space.

Laura