Thursday Thoughts

Community Leader
Thursday Thoughts
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 9:24am

Today my thought is about Pet Loss,I have been through it,it gets worse every time and I say never again,now with Misha and Daisy being sick and Bailey just passing it makes me think even more. I layed awake half the night thinking about bailey,it is almost like he was my own..and he is almost teddy's twin..does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Pages

Community Leader
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:50am

oh Jane..I am spending my morning crying with all these wonderful words

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:49am

I haven't experienced the loss of a pet much in my life but have lost a lot of close friends and of course my mom.  Somehow we are able to move on.  This past year I lost my best friend and am about to lose my special kitty.  I have always liked this poem as it helps to give me some perspective.  In life there is death unfortunately.

Lend Me a Pup

I will lend to you for awhile
a puppy, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and to mourn for him when he is gone.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe for two or three.
But will you, till I call him back
take care of him for me ?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief .
I cannot promise that he will stay,
since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate me when I come to take my pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done,"
For all the joys this pup will bring,
the risk of grief you'll run.
Will you shelter him with tenderness
Will you love him while you may
And for the happiness you'll know forever grateful stay.

But should I call him back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.
If, by your love, you've managed
my wishes to achieve,
In memory of him that you've loved,
cherish every moment with your faithful bundle,
and know he loved you too.

- Author Unknown

MMFallSiggy2010.png picture by greykits

Community Leader
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:49am

I know,I remember every detail of all of them,Scooby looking at me when he was put to sleep,now crying again

Community Leader
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:47am

I have to print this mary

Community Leader
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:41am

wow,that made me cry and smile,you know just the words,thank you

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:15am

Tomorrow is January 25.  ^Mulligan^ gone 12 years.  The phone call from our vet's office first thing that morning. I'll remember it the rest of my life. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 10:40am

Yes, it is very sad to lose our beloved furkids, very sad, but unfortunately it is a part of life.  We are lucky to be able to have the wonderful experiences and love our our furkids for as long as we do.  Sometimes it sure isn't for as long as we would like, but that is a part of the grand plan......What would you do if a dog did live as long as humans??  

The final cause of dogs having such short lives..... is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing A dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?  ......Sir Walter Scott.

I know how hard it is to face such loss, to hear of our friends, our dear friends, of our furnephews n furneices....but........that is just the way life is.  Yes, life sucks sometimes, but there are other times it doesn't, other times that life is pretty grand.  How we each face these losses n survive is up to each of us.  We are all different in what we do and how we feel about it all.   

As for me, yes i dred losin any of my babies, but i know that one day it will happen, it is inevitable, there is no way around it.  I will cry n be unhappy for a while, but then i will have my other babies n i will adopt another n another for as long as i can.  When i see all those little babies out there that don't have any home at all, it makes me sad n i want to bring them all home, yes, all of them, that is what they deserve.  Those babies don't deserve the abuse or neglect they endure, but they do.  Those people that abuse animals don't get it, not at all.  They don't get how much love these babies will give you if you just give them half a chance.  A dog is the only animal that loves you more than it loves itself.  They give you all they have, they don't hold back, they don't judge, they do nuthin but ask for our love n attention.  Which i will give to as many as i possibly can for as long as i can.  I often hear from people that they can't bear to lose another little furchild, but i think of this poem........  

I am a christian, the bible says.... "As for me n my house, i will serve the lord."  I add.... As for me n my house, i will serve the lord and all the wonderful creatures he has created. 

Pages