3/6/13....QOTW....""Scairdy Cats"

Community Leader
3/6/13....QOTW....""Scairdy Cats"
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 4:54pm

Hi everyone....and I hope  you're all having  great day.  For you in the Midwest and East....stay safe with this new storm.

I've been hearing that we might have gotten some bad weather mid-week.  This morning while I was having breakfast it actually looked as if the sky was brightening and that we would have a good day.  About 20 minutes later the sky began to darken and I saw a flash of light, followed by a huge "boom".  It started to pour and the rain soon turned to hail.  I noticed that after the first clap of thunder Cleo picked herself up and went into my bedroom.  When I went in to take a shower she was hiding in my closet.  When I came out of the bathroom she was parked right in front of the door.

What are your furkids afraid of...if anything?

Laura
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 6:51am

Poor Cleo - so many dogs are afraid of thunder!  Emmy used to hang out in my closet too when there was thunder.  I don't know how Dante will act since I don't think we have had any thunder since I have adopted him.  He's afraid of doorways though LOL!  It's taken me forever to get him to come in through the front door after a walk!  I usually have to drag him inside and he won't come in the back door.  He will run around the house to the dog door to come inside.  LOL!

Community Leader
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 9:47am

Oh poor Dante!!  You really wonder what goes through their minds.....LOL.....

Laura
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 11:12am

Aww, poor Cleo. I can relate. Jack is very scared of lighning and thunder. He doesn't go into a closet but rather comes to me for comfort. He'll try to get on my lap or get on furniture he's not allowed to jump on...and he knows it. Taz doesn't seem to get real upset. I think she gets upset because Jack is upset.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 6:36pm

Comet is a basket case in thunderstorms, and we get some doozies coming off Lake Michigan.  We haven't had one since a "thunder snow" event a few months ago, but spring will bring them.  When I hear the forecast, I start watching the radar.  As it gets closer or at first sign of noise, I put Comet's Thundershirt on him.  His eyesight and hearing are seriously impaired, but I think he feels the vibration in the floor.  The shirt works great for him.  He's fine as long as I don't make a big deal out of it.

Barbara

Oh say, can you see?

Visual Impairments

<

iVillage Member

Update:  We had a huge thunder & lightning storm today.  We also had major rain, wind and hail.  It was quite the show.  Anyway, the thunder wasn't the rolling kind but the kind that just cracks real loud all at once.  Scared me!  Dante paid attention but didn't freak out at all.  Soooooooo nice to not have a thunder-phobic dog!!!

iVillage Member

Donna - then you are very lucky Dante doesn't have those issues. Yay Dante!!