5 Spring Flowers Toxic to Pets

Avatar for donnaldy59
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-19-2001
5 Spring Flowers Toxic to Pets
1
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 9:35am

TGIF everyone!  I'm glad it's Friday (as always).  I always get to work from home on Fridays which is the best plus I get to sleep in as well!  Yay!  Although lately I have been waking up at 2:30am and then go back to sleep at 3am then back up at 4 or 5am.  Not sure what the problem is but it's frustrating me!

So, with Spring here, there are lots of plants blooming (along with my allergies) and some pretty flowering plants are toxic to pets.  My yard has lots of rose bushes and they are blooming like crazy and luckily they aren't toxic.  Below is an article from petside.com on toxic flowering plants.  It mentions calla lilies as being toxic to cats but says nothing about dogs.  I have a bunch of calla lilies.  But I'm lucky that Dante doesn't seem too interested in eating any of the plant life!  I hope you enjoy your weekend!

The expression, “April showers bring May flowers" heralds the arrival of a wealth of beautifully colored florets that many of us have been looking forward to all winter. At the same time however many of these gorgeous blossoms are dangerous to pets.

Since spring is the time that folks get busy planting and gardening, it’s wise for green-thumbed pet guardians to familiarize themselves with the varieties of toxic spring plants that are highly toxic to cats and dogs.

Tulips and hyacinths are one of the most popular bulbs that many gardeners choose to use to decorate around their homes. The leaves and flowers of Tulips and Hyacinths aren’t toxic, according to veterinarian, Karen Becker, but the bulbs of both varieties contain allergenic lactone which is toxic to dogs and cats. Symptoms of pets being poisoned by these two plants are vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, changes in breathing and an increase in their heart rate. Since there is no antidote for this toxin, Dr. Becker cautions that severe symptoms must be treated immediately.

The bulbs, flowers and leaves of daffodils contain an alkaloid called lycorine. If a pet licks or ingests any part of this plant, it can cause mouth irritation and excessive drooling. This alkaloid can also trigger gastric symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. More serious reactions to lycorine can range from heart problems and upper respiratory distress, and also must be treated immediately

Some varieties of lilies (the Calla, Peace and Peruvian) are relatively harmless to cats. If they are ingested some minor digestive upsets and drooling may result. However lilies that are extremely toxic to cats are the Day Lily, the Japanese Show, Tiger, Asiatic, Easter and the Stargazer. If a kitty ingests just a miniscule amount of these plants or their pollen, it can result in kidney failure and even death. This is an extreme emergency situation; prompt medical treatment is essential in order to save the cat's life.

The Lily of the Valley is toxic to both cats and dogs, with a toxic level of moderate to severe. Symptoms of Lily of the Valley poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, slowed heart rate, and severe heart arrhythmias. If a cat or dog has been exposed to this plant, contact your veterinarian, an emergency clinic or contact the Pet Poison Helpline  at 1-800-213-6680.

For more in-depth plant safety information check out plants that are toxic to cats and dogs

Avatar for terreinarkansas
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-05-2000
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 12:11pm

Thanks Donna! This is a helpful  article. I have all of those plants in my yard but luckily Jack and Taz don't go near them (no interest). Some of the plants are out of reach.

Hope you have a great weekend ;-)