6/26/13....QOTW....Dogs in Danger

Community Leader
6/26/13....QOTW....Dogs in Danger
Wed, 06-26-2013 - 3:11pm

Hi everyone...and I hope you're all having a great week so far.  The weather this year is crazy....last week I needed to wear a jacket during the day and the past few days have been so hot and humid...with no end in sight.

Yesterday I went home to walk Cleo.  I usually take her out through the side door of the garage.  When I opened the door Cleo started to walk out and then jumped back....there was a black snake right outside the door and looked ready to strike.  I carefully walked around it and took her fo her walk; but went in a different way when we got home.  Thankfully....because the snake was still there.

Have you ever had an instance when your furkid was in "danger" either through their own fault or the fault of something else?

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-26-2013 - 4:51pm

Jack and Taz are surrounded by danger in the summer. We have snakes (copperheads). It's such a problem that we have to put netting around the fences to keep them away. Even King snakes. I once caught Jack face to face with a King. That snake's head was up and I called Jack back just in time. Taz was bitten by a copperhead!! Do you remember that? That was a scary time for us. Plus, we have coyotes in the neighborhood so I watch my dogs constantly and they never go outside without a leash at night. Then there are the occasional skunks that creep into our yard. We have a woods behind our property so who knows what else lurks back there. It's become dangerous living out in the country.

I'm glad Cleo wasn't hurt. You have to be so careful ;-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-26-2013 - 10:08pm
Hi Laura - I have been lucky. I have not been in any instance where my dog(s) were in danger. I don't think that Dante has a sense of danger from wildlife. But of course there is always a first time - God forbid!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-26-2013 - 10:11pm
WOW Terre! Every day sounds like a danger day! With your dogs being so small, it's like double trouble! I totally remember when Taz was bitten by a Copperhead! So dang scary!!!! We have problems with coyotes too but the snake problem isn't too bad although of course there are a zillion rattlesnakes. I just don't se them or hear about problems with them. I have not heard of a skunk being down here in the desert which is good!
Community Leader
Thu, 06-27-2013 - 9:22am

Oh yes....I do remember when Taz was bitten by that copperhead.  I do worry about Cleo...she's so "nosy" and is always rooting around in our clumps of foliage in the yard.  That's how she was bitten by that bee a couple of years ago.  When I'm out in the yard with her and i see her sitting and staring at one spot, I always go over to check. Of course, my biggest fear is snakes.  As you said, living in the "country" can be scary at times.

Laura
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-27-2013 - 9:24am

Donna - yes,  it's very scary!! We haven't always had a snake problem but for the past 5-10 years all of a sudden snakes converge on our property. And since we seem to always have a drought in the summer that brings the snakes to us looking for water. Grrrr.... Just be careful where you walk - you never know where a snake can be hiding. Once I stepped on a King snake LOL!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-27-2013 - 11:54am

I have seen snakes in my back yard, but they have all been about the size of a pencil.  The dogs won't touch them.  We also gets possums and raccoons, but they come out at night and the pugs sleep indoors. 

One of the local parks has bobcats.  And yes, I live in a city of 350,000 people.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-29-2013 - 5:01pm
Did you sh#% your pants when you stepped on the King snake??? I know I would of!!! Are they poisonous?
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-30-2013 - 11:49am

Suz - King snakes are not poisonous. In fact, they eat poisonous snakes so they're good to have around. When I stepped on that snake (way before we had Jack and Taz) - it was raining buckets and I was running back to the house (caught in the rain taking a walk) and there was that King in the driveway. I almost snapped my ankle after I stepped on it and I was literally screaming LOL!!