.•:*¨¨*:•. QOTW - Appetite.•:*¨¨*:•. 7/25

iVillage Member
.•:*¨¨*:•. QOTW - Appetite.•:*¨¨*:•. 7/25
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 1:00pm

Happy Hump Day everyone!  I hope your week is going well so far!  We have been getting fairly consistent dust storms for the past few weeks, sometimes with rain, sometimes not.  Makes for an interesting patio in the aftermath - LOL!

So Buzz has always been my problem child and I thought I would throw this out here to see what you all do.  Buzz is the worst finicky eater!  Before him, I have never owned a dog that I actually had to coax to eat their food!  I have always done the thing where I put it down and if they don't eat it then I pick it back up and give it to them next meal time.  I hate doing this with Buzz though because he's losing muscle mass with age and from limping so he's looking extra skinny.  Most Greyhounds look starved as it is so it bothers me that Buzz is looking so skinny.  So I do things like add beef broth, boil up chicken, fry up hamburger, add canned food, add cheese.  All of these things work but not consistently.  This morning he ate part of his breakfast and then ignored it so I picked it up and let him outside.  Then he comes back in, I gave him his bowl and he finished it right up.  I only had his kibble, some canned and some beef broth on it this time.  So....

Question of the Week:  What have you done or would think of doing if you were having trouble getting your dog to eat?

I'm really looking forward to your answers!

Pages

iVillage Member

Jack and Taz only eat kibble. The only time they won't eat is if they're not feeling well or coming home from the kennel where they got spoiled with their food LOL! If Jack won't eat I'll try to coax him. I'll sit in the same room with him. Sometimes he doesn't want us to look at him while he's eating - I know, he's weird!! Other times I'll wait until the end of the day or give him some rice. My dogs never turn away a bowl of rice!! They will eat a dog biscuit in a pinch so at least there's something in their belly.

Taz is not a problem at all - she's my fatty girl - she'll eat anytime!! The only time will be if she's not feeling well (usually the reason is she ate a bug or mushroom). She bounces back quickly. I would say my dogs are not finicky though. Just quirky!!

iVillage Member

Pug is another way to spell pig.  They will eat anything and everything, sometimes to their detriment.

The only time I had a problem getting a dog to eat was when Roly was coming down with pancreatitis.  And like you, I tried everything I could think of.  I had better luck with canned food than with kibble.

iVillage Member
Well at least you know when they're not feeling well! If Emmy didn't eat then I would know for sure there was something wrong with her!! With Buzz I have to look for other signs. This morning was another example of him ignoring his breakfast until I sat beside him and said to eat his breakfast yum yum. LOL! He finally ate it so that made me happy. The one weird thing with him is that he will never turn down a Milkbone biscuit. Those old dry nasty things he loves! I buy the ones for small dogs and he just thinks they're the best! LOL!
iVillage Member
LOL! I know that everyone's dog(s) on this board have no problems with their appetites. I am curious though what would tempt them though. Terre says rice and you say canned food. I've tried both - Buzz doesn't care - LOL!
iVillage Member

This is what I say to coax Jack: "Come on, Jack, I know you can do it. Now, EAT your food!" LOL! If he tries to leave his bowl I point to his bowl and say "Go eat your food." Eventually he does.

iVillage Member
LOL! If you could only hear me Terre you would die laughing! I say in my high sing-song voice - "eat your dinner (breakfast) Buzz, yum yum" LOLOLOL!
iVillage Member

I can just hear you now! LOL! Maybe the next thing we should do is eat their food and show them how tasty it is!! Yuck!

Community Leader

Unfortunately, I think everything you're doing is about all you can do.

When I had my beloved ^Jebu^ he was a very finicky eater; I used to "beg" him to eat.  This was before I knew even the little I know about dogs now.  I finally found a food he liked - Triumph.  Of course, I could only get this at certain stores and once we moved to NJ it was no longer available.  So the search was on, and I hit on Nutromax.

When we first took Cleo home she wouldn't eat at all (hard to believe now...LOL).  It was to the point where I got worried and called the vet.  She recommended that I try some canned food mixed in with the dry.  And the rest is history.

When ^Samantha^ wasn't eating towards the end the vet said to feed her whatever she would eat; tunafish, biscuits, chicken, etc.   Thankfully Buzz isn't at that point, but with his age and weight problens, I would keep up with the beef/chicken broth and other goodies in his food.  As long as they aren't fatty or harmful....why not?

Laura
iVillage Member

Pugs will eat anything and everything, but they will not walk across the room for a Milk Bone!  LOL

iVillage Member
Hi Donna,

Now I'm just asking: are Buzz's teeth OK? Perhaps he broke one or something is going on so that he doesn't want to eat.... but I guess if he can chew milkbones his teethe are OK LOL ? Or is he getting too many milkbones beforehand ?

Don't feel silly about having to sit there, whatever it takes to get them to eat.

Well,,, I give Coffee kibble but have to put a bit of warm water on it and swish it around til it's all damp and then drain off the excess and then put it in her bowl. She won't eat until I tell her "eat, " then "yea" (turkish for eat) and then she's start sniffing. Then she looks up at me , I pat her head and she'll start taking out the first 8 or so pieces of kibble and distribute it around behind her. Then if she eats I can do something else, but if she raises her head then I have to sit ther and watch her eat. This is all when she's eating well. Coffee also loves milkbones. One time when she wasn't eating dh got worried so he smashed up a small milkbone and added it to her kibble.... that worked. She ate. I suppose you could try that...
In your case, I would definitely try adding things to Buzz's meal,,,, you'll find something that will entice him,, but try the smashed milkbone, he knows that odor and likes it.

Oh and the other thing with Coffee is (ans I'm just citing her as she has some pretty weird little habits.... ) she has to go out and do a dump before she'll eat. Sometimes though in the morning she only does her pp and comes back in, and she won't eat. then after a while she'll go out again and do a dump and then rush in and then she'll eat...... just a thought. ( TMI, I know, but ya never know what might help... )

Such a problem child our Buzz (()).

Pages