QOTW - Love me Love my Dog - 5/8/13

iVillage Member
QOTW - Love me Love my Dog - 5/8/13
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 7:37am

Happy Hump Day everyone!  I hope your week is going well so far!  Mine isn't going fast enough - LOL!

I have always said that I wouldn't date a man who didn't love dogs as much as I do but that's not always realistic.  Some men just aren't going to have the same level of passion that I have.  Right now it's not an issue but I always keep it in the back of my mind when meeting new people - male or female since I don't really want friends that don't like dogs either.

Question of the Week:  Does your significant other or good friends love dogs just as much as you do? 

I read this article and enjoyed it very much about this topic.  Check out the link below:

What Do You Do When Your Life Partner Isn't A Dog Person?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 10:05am

My dh has the same commitment and love for dogs as I do. Before we married he had dogs, in fact when I met him he had a mixed breed puppy. Later after we married we've had various dogs (outside) but it wasn't until we decided to have an indoor dog and getting Jack and Taz have I seen the love he shares with me for these dogs. At first he was afraid to hold Taz (so cute) - she was tiny. He hovers over her as much as I do. Lately he's been calling her "Tazzie" LOL 

Now - we do have friends who don't enjoy dogs like we do. In that regard - when they come to visit we put the dogs away in another room. We hardly get visitors anyway so it's really not an issue.

Community Leader
Thu, 05-09-2013 - 9:11am

Nice article....but the pictures show that her DH obviously has changed a bit because he is at least "tolerating" her pets....

When I was single I never had an issue with boyfriends relating to pets but, to be honest, when I was younger and lived home my parents did most of the "heavy lifting" when it came to my dog.  Of course, I loved them and did what I could to help out, but my mother was the main caregiver.

When I moved out on my own and got my ^Jebu^ things changed.  I realized that anyone I would be with had to accept Jebu too.  Luckily I met DH not long afterwards and it was "love at first sight" for him and Jebu.  DH had oly had one dog when he was young and didn't have that much interaction with him, but when we met things changed.  He understood that Jebu was very important to me and loved him as much as I did.

Through the years things have sometimes been a little over the top with DH.  We had arguments about ^Samantha^ because, at the time she was being to go downhill we were both working long hours (as we are now) but I was the one with the cleanup every day and night...so it was a stressful time.  Of course I adored her...but he often looked more at what she was going through, rather than how it affected me.  At the end he finally saw how the whole thing had affected me and is a little more tolerant.

However, he worries if Cleo is alone too long (which she rarely is); and sometimes thinks more about when he is going to take her to the Dog Park rather than how he can spend more time with me....LOL....

Then again....I wouldn't have it any other way.  My dogs are my furkids and it will always be that way..

Laura
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-09-2013 - 8:36pm

My late husband is the one who brought the first pug into our house, and he and ^Edgar^ were inseparable.  We had lots of animals during the 34+ years we were married.

I've told my shelter volunteer friends that if ^DH^ were still alive, Abraham would be living at my house.  I know he would have loved him.  Shelter volunteers moved heaven and earth to save Abraham last Summer, and he made it out of the shelter.  Sadly, he is still in boarding with a rescue group and is still looking for his forever home.

I am 66, and my prospects for a meaningful relationship are slim.  However, the man would simply have to love animals. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-12-2013 - 8:41pm

Hi Terre - I've had major problems getting logged in so sorry for the late response.  Anyway, I have had friends that aren't dog people either and to be honest, I don't do anything different if they visit me at my house other than make sure whatever dog I have had at the time didn't bother them.  Luckily my dogs never jump so I haven't had to deal with that.  The older I get, the less tolerant I am to other people's feelings towards my dogs when I'm in my own house.  LOL!  It makes a HUGE difference though when your significant other feels the same way you do!  Makes life so much easier!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-12-2013 - 8:45pm
I agree Laura that her DH looks more tolerant but you can still tell he's not emotionally involved or at least that is my take on his body language. I'm surprised that Frank was that way when Samantha was going through her declining period. I just don't see him quite like that but anxiety and stress affect people differently. I totally understood where you were coming from and my heart was going out to you both during Valentine's and then Samantha's end of days. So very hard. I'm glad that Frank has bonded so much with Cleo. Saves you from having to go to the dog park all the time - LOL! Anyway, yes I agree - my dogs will always be my "children"!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-12-2013 - 9:04pm
Not so sadly for Abraham really - he is loved and cared for until he finds his forever home - not so bad really! And Gaye you are never too old to find love and/or companionship. I keep telling myself that!