Question of the Week - Clothing - 1/16

iVillage Member
Question of the Week - Clothing - 1/16
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 6:54am

Happy Hump Day everyone!  I hope your week has gone well so far!  It's been a very cold one here.  Every day, after work, I walk Dante to get my mail.  My mailbox is not close so it's a decent walk.  Anyway, we have had a week of temperature highs in the 40's and below freezing in the mornings.  This is unusual weather for us and I'm just plain cold - LOL!  Greyhounds don't have much hair so when I first got Spencer, I had gotten him a fleece jacket which he rarely had to use.  Buzz never did wear a coat and neither did Emmy.  Buzz didn't go on walks and Emmy had a nice thick natural coat of her own.  Dante has very thin hair so I have been putting the fleece coat on him to keep him warm when walking him to the mailbox.  I have to say he looks adorable - LOL!

Question of the Week:  Do you have coats for your dogs when it gets cold in the Winter?

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 12:40pm

When we first got ^Samantha^ as a puppy we got her a coat...it lasted a couple of hours and whe tore it off...  The last few years we had her I bought her a coat because she would get cold when Frank took her to the dog park; she was very good about it and always kept it on.  I like to think that she felt a bit warmer with it on.

I don't have a coat for Cleo....maybe as she gets a bit older I might get one for her. 

I remember when I lived in NJ....where it gets "really" cold and nasty...I had a neighbor with two greyhounds.  I believe she told me that she had to buy coats for them before the rescue would allow her to adopt them.

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 2:26pm

As cold as it sometimes gets here (last year we didn't even have a winter - lol) I have never gotten coats for Jack and Taz. I supposed I should but they don't like clothes - ever! I once made Taz a jeans skirt out of old jeans and she rolled and tried to bite it off her LOL! I'm not sure they would wear a coat. It's warming up today and it looks like the snow and ice is melting. Yay - that means I can get out tomorrow!!

Community Leader
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 7:33pm

Mine don't have any clothes (eeeks!  Nekkid dogs!) but they don't stay out long enough on cold days to need them. When I was growing up, my Manchester terrier had a coat that she was quite proud of.  My Kerry Blue/Poodle mix had a sweater, and she just liked to be dressed up in ANYTHING.  I have many pictures of her in my old bathing suits, sunglasses, swimming caps, tutus, OK I was a little nuts, and she was my best friend.  She loved Halloween because she could get all dressed up and carry the bag, she would sit up and beg when I rang the doorbell.  Most photographed dog in the neighborhood, LOL!  And most people found a treat for her, too.  She liked her nails polished and bows in her ears.  She really pranced when she knew she was pretty! 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 9:01pm
I think that dogs like Dalmatians need coats in the Winter but dogs like Cleo that have natural double coats probably don't need help with an additional coat. I bought Spencer flannel PJs as well. He was good about both but I don't keep the house cold enough to think Dante needs PJs. He has lots of blankies.
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 9:03pm
I wouldn't put clothes on a dog just to dress them up - LOL! Coats, to me, are practical and needed if I'm going to walk Dante when it's in the low 30's!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 9:05pm
How fun to have a dog that actually liked to get dressed up! I did that with Emmy & Spencer and both "allowed" me to do that. Never bothered with Buzz and I don't think I will torture Dante with all the Greyhound outfits I have. He allows me to put the coat on him but he constantly shakes like he's trying to shake it off - LOL!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 10:06pm

Comet doesn't need a coat.  Weimaraners seem rather impervious to the weather.  My greyhound, Jester, was a double coated red brindle, very unusual for a greyhound, and never needed a coat even in our worst Michigan winters.  Lynnie was black and thin coated.  She hated her coats and always thought she couldn't move when they were on her.  I had a couple turtle fur ones that velcroed along her back.  They were really easy to slip on and take off.  I'd have never gotten them on her otherwise. 

Barbara

Oh say, can you see?

Visual Impairments

<

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 10:50pm

My pugs have tee shirts, sweaters and coats.  Infant V-neck sweater vests seem to fit Jabaar the best.  Most of the commercial dog clothes don't fiut pugs well.  If it is big enough in the chest, it is so long it covers the boy dog apparatus, and he pees on it.

When it is cold outside, they wear tee shirts in the house.  I have no basement.  The house is on a concrete slab, and the heat comes out of ceiling vents.  If it is 67 or 68 at my shoulder level, it is several degrees colder a foot from the floor.  And drafty, too, I would think.  The thermostat is at 62 at night.  I have a down comforter, but the pugs don't sleep under the covers, so they wear a tee shirt to bed, too.

Coats just don't fit comfortably, and they hate them.  Sweaters are better because they are stretchy and forgiving.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 6:19am

Hi Barbara - maybe black Greys are normally thin-haired.  Dante is nakey on his tummy and thighs but then so was Spencer.... So you managed to get Lynnie moving with a coat on her I take it?  Greyhounds are just funny/weird!  LOL!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 6:21am
Pugs are so small that I can see how sweaters and T's would work best for them! I never thought about it being colder closer to the floor!

Pages