Dwaddling - Ugh!!

iVillage Member
Dwaddling - Ugh!!
Mon, 09-17-2007 - 5:14pm

OMG this child is going to be the death of me!  Every single thing we do is a struggle these days it seems.  The main problem is that she is the ultimate dwaddler.  We can be completely ready to go and yet it will still take us 15 minutes to get into the car because she will suddenly need to get a certain toy, or decides she wants to wear another pair of shoes, or she has to go potty (after having asked her repeatedly for 30 minutes prior). 

I know it sounds like I should just be able to tell her we can't get the toy or change shoes right now, but then she will go into meltdown mode and throw such a fit it will still take her 15 minutes to get into the car, and I will feel guilty and she will be grouchy and messy.  I am not sure what the right thing to do there is.

I must say "come one Wesley, hurry up" 50 times a day!  Does anyone have any tips for how they handle this sort of stuff?  Should I just tell her no and deal with the consequences?

iVillage Member
In reply to: coryhp
Mon, 09-17-2007 - 5:40pm

Yikes!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2007 - 7:24pm
I have no advice!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2007 - 9:44pm
Caro is known as "The Human Rain Delay" for her unbelievable knack for making anything, like walking 10 steps to the front door, take 20 minutes. I feel your pain...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 10:47am
I am so glad to know I am not the only one!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 4:08pm
Avery would have melt downs, too, bec. she would want to bring everything w/her...threatening to leave w/o her didn't work bec she would just go play in her room! (my mom suggested that one...lol) I finally started doing a countdown and assigning her duties as we leave. 10 minutes before we leave, do they have shoes on and what ONE item are they bringing. 5 minutes to go and check shoes, and put on coats (if needed). Time to go and Peyton turns off the TV and Avery opens and closes the door for me. It took about two weeks for them to get the hang of having everything ready when I say it's time to go...we had to be out the door by 8:30am M-F when I implemented this routine.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 6:39pm
Ugh, I have a 7 year old who is the queen of the ""Oh wait, I forgot my...lunch....shoes....head.""

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

Jenna, Mum to Bryn (PRS,

*Praying for my best friend, my Dad*

&n

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 7:10pm

Oh my! Yes!!!! Dwaddling - what a great word! LOL

I go with the No, we are leaving and drag her ass out the door. Otherwise we'd NEVER leave.

MadsenFallSiggy3.png picture by jenniemadsen1