Lump in baby's thigh?

iVillage Member
Lump in baby's thigh?
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 8:32pm

Hi ladies,

Don't worry, I've already taken Simon to the doctor about this, and been told that I should not consider it an emergency, but I still can't help wondering if anyone out there has had something similar with their FC. Two weeks ago when we got back from our extended Christmas travels, I noticed what I thought was a small insect bite on Simon's upper thigh. This would normally be weird in winter, but we had been staying at my mom's place and she has spiders all year round, and they've bitten me before. It went away (visually) after a day or two - then last week, while massaging Simon with lotion before bed, I noticed that he now has an internal, pea-sized lump in the same spot in his thigh. It looks to me like the spot where he's been given vaccinations, and that was something that I mentioned to the doctor when he was finally able to be seen today, but the doctor didn't respond to that - just gave us a requisition for an ultrasound and said he personally had no idea what it was. He pressed it a lot (as I'd been afraid to try) and it doesn't cause him any pain. On the u/s requisition form he described it as a "firm nodule".

We booked the ultrasound and he can't get in until next Saturday (the 7th) and the results will take a week after that. We're freaking out thinking, we can't wait that long, so I called Telehealth Ontario and spoke to a nurse, who basically said that if the doctor thought it was an emergency he would have sent us to the hospital. That didn't make me feel much better, so I looked online, and it would appear that what we've got is a fairly common reaction at an injection site, which is what I originally thought. But if that's the case, you'd think the doctor would have seen it at least once before, right? Anyway, the research I did seems to indicate that we should only be worried if the lump is "fixed to muscle or bone", rock-solid, or causing pain, and it's none of those. So I'm curious - has any FC or BTDT mom encountered this before? I'd love to be able to relax a little and think of something else!

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!

- Anne

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 9:05pm

My kids have been known to get a knot or lump where the injection site is for shots...I believe, (PLEASE dont quote me, I could be wrong), but I believe it can have something to do with it hitting the muscle...

Please keep us posted

Mommy to Destinee, Hunter,Kodey and Carley & our newest Miracle, Addison Faith born 6/17/10! Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 9:23pm
That's good to know - I'm sure I've heard of that happening before, which is why I thought that in the first place. My only concern, I guess, is that he had his last round of vaccinations at 4 months, and that was 6 weeks before I noticed anything. However, given the amount of sleep I'm getting, it's possible I could have missed it. It actually feels like it's moving and changing shape from day to day - that's what has SO worried, he thinks it's a blood clot - but we were told even if that were the case it would be on the vein, not in the vein, so it couldn't travel to his heart or brain. How they know that, I have no idea, but I will definitely let you know what happens with the ultrasound. Thanks!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 9:44pm

DS2 had gotten lumps under his skin on his legs. It wasnt around the times he got shots. We come to find out it was calcium deposits. They disappeared on their own and didnt cause any discomfort.