Can you REALLY breastfeed w/a sling???

iVillage Member
Can you REALLY breastfeed w/a sling???
Thu, 01-22-2004 - 10:08pm
I need a hands-free solution. Otherwise I'm going back to pumping-- I can do THAT hands-free, the pump works faster, and I can give grandma, grandpa, aunts and visitors the bottle. What a loving mom huh? But I really do need my hands and need to move around more than I have/am currently.

What kind of sling? Where to buy? Thanks!

Kristin

w/ Noah 12/25

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/firstxmasbaby
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2004 - 12:49pm
http://www.mayawrap.com/ Is the one I have - I wear it daily and it goes everywhere with me, lightweight, comfortable, fits in the diaper bag - can't say enough about it. I also have 2 & 3 y/o boys, so it's a must that I be able to move freely while nursing Quin 1/2. I can nurse in public and nobody knows. I also prefer using the sling and single stroller over a bulky double stroller that doesn't fit anywhere. Either kid fits in the sling or stroller. The sling also has a higher weight limit then most front carriers and you have more of a variety of position options. I took mine to the hospital with me for help positioning the baby in it for nursing - the nurses commented on how easy mine was to adjust compared to others they've seen (they didn't know the brands, but that tells me not all are created equal). HTH Michele
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2004 - 1:23pm
It does help! :) Thanks... I decided to order a kissa-sling-- looks about the same and is a little cheaper. I bet they'd be easy to make, too.....
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2004 - 2:24pm
Hi Kristen,

We're going the sling option, and I've heard from a colleague here that slings are good for breastfeeding (I'm counting on using it, if possible, even while in front of the computer!). We went for 'the New Native' sling, which sells for about $40.00 from the website; $45.00 at the store. It's pretty streamlined (which I like) and feels comfortable on. They probably *would* be easy to make--but I'm afraid sewing is precisely where my (already limited) dexterity ends!

By the way, thanks again for that note you posted in the 'Hey Tullia' thread. I thanked you there, too, but I'm not sure you checked it. Anyhoo--thanks!

Good luck with the sling thing!

T.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2004 - 10:30pm
Your post reminds me that I need to get my sling out again...didn't have much luck BF in it the first time, but I'm determined to try again. My cousin just made it look too easy, so I know it can be done. Plus there's nothing cuter than a baby peeking out of a sling (when they get a bit older).

You didn't say why you need your hands free, but have you tried a boppy or good structured nursing pillow? I'm nursing right now with both hands free, thanks to my boppy. If you're particularly long-waisted, you might actually need something taller to bring the baby to the right height. Occasionally, I place a throw pillow UNDER one edge of the boppy for extra height...I've found that placing it over isn't as good, as the baby's back and body aren't as supported. For me, it's the perfect height, and I can do either cradle or football hold with no issues. When I need to read or use my laptop, I generally sit "indian-style" on the sofa with the boppy on my lap, and I pull a coffee table up close & put my reading material on that. Sitting with my legs up allows me to pull the table in close enough to really reach whatever I'm working on. If you have a desktop computer, this might be more of a challenge, but you might be able to rearrange things a bit to make it work.

Good luck with the sling. Post if you get it to work!

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2004 - 8:09am
Kristin,

Check out www.kanagarookorner.com -- they have a million different kinds of slings and are extremely helpful. You can e-mail the owner with all your questions and she will respond promptly with advice and suggestions. I got the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Pouch and I can BF Kellen while moving around -- I do use one arm to support his head while nursing but the other is completely free; and both are free when he's not nursing. I "wear" him much of the day in that pouch and I do pretty much everything -- cooking prep work (obviously avoiding hot steam, boiling water, etc.), cleaning, eating, working on the computer, shopping, etc. The pouch is really easy to use, also. With their padded sling you may not even need the supporting arm because of the padded rail. Check it out before you give up!

Kirstin and Kellen (12/27)

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2004 - 12:33pm
Thanks, Kirstin. I actually did a search for "sling" and found a post by you recommending KangarooKorner a while ago. That pouch looks pretty cool! I ended up ordering a Kissasling-- it has a padded shoulder, but not padded rails. I looked on the Attachment Parenting board (they have a whole folder devoted to Babywearing) and found that most women don't like padded rails, for various reasons... So we'll see how it works out when the sling arrives. EATING is definitely something I look forward to doing. Even if I have to support him with one hand, at least most of the weight is on my soulders/back.

Thanks to April for your post, too. Reading is OK right now, typing is a bit hard even with the boppy (big bulky thing to reach over annoys me). I need to be able to walk around and eat, mainly. Typing would be a plus since I have three classes...

I will let you know how it works!

Kristin