Horrible sacroiliac pain - can't walk.

iVillage Member
Horrible sacroiliac pain - can't walk.
Sun, 10-01-2006 - 10:03am

It's not shooting down my leg yet so I don't think it's turned into sciatica but my gawd, this SI joint is killing me. Normally it's sore in the night when I get up to go to the loo, but then in the morning it eases off. Not yesterday! I fell over in the night because I couldn't even hobble like I normally do, then it's just gotten progressively worse - so much so that I didn't play a symphony concert last night (no sick pay either).

I can barely walk this morning again - and I don't have time to just lie around with the crazy move and house fixing-up going on! I'm going to see my chiro tomorrow but in the meantime, what can I do??

Expecting #1 (after 8 years TTC) 1.3.07

Welcoming our beautiful baby after 8 years TTC!!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-01-2006 - 2:19pm
I was reading that sciatica is rare during pregnancy and usually the problem is pelvic girdle pain (PGP). I had it late in my pg with my daughter and for a few weeks during this pg and then it suddenly went away. I didn't do anything different, I figured I just had to suck it up and deal with the pain since my insurance doesn't cover chiropracters. Maybe the baby changed positions? At any rate from what I read the options are see a chiropracter, accupuncture, tylenol, warm/heat therapy and maternity support belts. None of the at home stuff helped me last time though, it didn't let up until I delivered.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-01-2006 - 4:00pm
Try laying on your back and bringing your knee up. Then hold onto your knee with both hands and while you hold it try pushing it into you and push with your leg the other way. Hold for ten seconds.Like a battle between your arms and your legs. release the pressure but still hold onto leg and do it again. Then put ice on it. Thats what they did for me in PT and it did wonders. I have had to do it twice this pregnancy, I was in severe pain before I did it. Hope it helps its hard to describe in words kwim?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket