Would you drink?

iVillage Member
Would you drink?
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 2:46pm

I've read that a half glass of wine is fine during pregnancy.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 2:55pm

I have a bottle of wine waiting here for after the baby is born, lol. Honestly, half a glass of wine probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I haven't been able to do it either. I figure I have gone this long, what is a little longer.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 3:01pm
I've also heard that it's okay to have a little bit but I wouldn't chance it myself.

Chantal

Wife and Doggy Mommy to Rush and Conker

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 3:24pm

I'm the same way. During pregnancy when I was pretty stressed my DH said, "just have a beer, it will help you relax". I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I believe one beer or a half a glass of wine isn't going to hurt the baby, but I just couldn't do it. I guess I felt that I didn't need it enough, so I'd just take a bath and eat a bowl of ice cream instead :)

I have since had a Bud Light Lime and it was great! :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

L

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 3:25pm

I actually had about 3 inches of beer the other night, after two of my friends told me how they had a guinness, bounced on a birthing ball and went into labor the next day. I don't like guinness, but I had a really good wheat beer (julius echter). I couldn't drink the whole thing, after two sips I felt the alcohol coursing through my veins, but i had my three inches of a pint glass. My midwife told me pizza and beer can help get labor moving too.

Didn't work though.

When my iron was a little low in Italy, my doctor told me to drink a little red wine a couple nights a week. I didn't do it though.

I've only drank sips on special occasions while pregnant...when we announced the double pg of me and my cousin to my grandparents we toasted champagne, on valentines day we had filet mignon and a nice montepulciano d'abruzzo, and at my brother's wedding...and of course, the other night to get this baby moving!

Photobucket

BabyName Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 3:37pm
I've had a sip or two on special occasions while pregnant...for instance at a cousin's wedding, I had a sip of DH's champagne to toast the couple.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 4:32pm

I'm usually SO neurotic when it comes to that sort of thing--when I was pregnant with my first daughter, I think I cut out ALL soda, caffeine, alcohol, etc.!!!

With this one, I've actually had one or two Mike's! I think the periodic glass of wine is fine, especially when you are outside of the first trimester when the central nervous system is formed. RIght now, everything is formed! I would at this point (and I'm a very conservative person).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:46pm
I actually had some last night! I have had midwives and nurses recommend it towards the end of pregnancy to help relax. I had a couple glasses towards the end with my DS too. As long as you only have a little I think it is fine.
Photobucket
Photobucket

pregnancy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:54pm

I just keep thinking of this woman I know who was a couple days overdue and super frustrated, Finally she drank a beer to help her sleep, and bam, went into labor. She said she was terrified she smelled like beer at the hospital. It would be my luck too. I am just waiting.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 7:24pm

I don't think that there are any truly definitive answers on what is safe in pregnancy. I had a doctor tell me that there is probably a safe amount of alcohol to consume during pregnancy (less in the first trimester and increasing a bit through the second and third), but since no one knows for certain what that safe amount is, it is much easier to tell women to abstain altogether or just have a sip on a special occasion.

It also seems that alcohol affects different women and their babies in different ways, so what causes no harm in one might have serious effects in another.

Personally I wouldn't drink at all in the first trimester, but I would have a very small glass of wine or a few tastes of my husband's beer or something in the second trimester and onwards. I did that maybe a couple times. I would steer clear of anything with a higher alcohol content like mixed drinks, but I don't really drink those when I'm not pregnant either. After 37 weeks or so, I wouldn't have a problem with a full glass of wine or splitting a bottle of beer with DH. I've done that on a couple of occasions in the last few weeks, but certainly don't let myself get to the point where I'm feeling at all drunk, just a bit relaxed. I've ended up drinking a glass of wine over the course of a whole evening anyway.

So I don't feel guilty about having a small amount of wine or beer at this stage. Depending on the circumstances, I might celebrate the beginning of my labour by having a glass of something to relax. Our midwife actually has "mother's favourite alcoholic beverage (for medicinal purposes)" on her list of homebirth supplies! I haven't asked her about that one though and didn't drink anything during my other labours.

Zoe

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 8:16pm

Zoe--do you think your MW had that on the list for after labor, or during? I wonder how a nice glass of red wine would help dealing with contractions?

Anybody ever drink while in labor? (i think we all know that i don't mean tying one on...)

Photobucket

BabyName Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket

Pages