Pros and Cons of steroid injection for

iVillage Member
Pros and Cons of steroid injection for
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 9:19am

babies lungs to devolop.

I had a big baby last time w/ lots of complications so doc wants to induce or do a c-sec at 38 weeks, I just worried that lungs will not be fully devoloped yet, does any one know the pros and cons to steriod injections to speed lung devolopment?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 9:55am
A baby is considered full-term at 37 weeks. There is also a test that can determine if the baby's lungs are mature before birth.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 10:16am

I think that by 38 wks (actually, even earlier like maybe 37 wks) the babies lungs are mature enough without the use of Betamethasone steroid injections. Did you ask your doc about that? As for pros/cons...I don't know of any cons, but I can definately tell you about the pros! My twins were born 6 wks premature and I started getting the steroid injections at 30 wks bcuz one of the twins wasn't growing as well as the other and had "poor cord flow" and lessening amniotic fluid. Thankfully, both twins had no health problems at all at birth and breathed well thanks to the shots!

~Mona~

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 10:26am

I don't know of the pros and cons, but I found out yesterday that because of my GH and the risk of it developing into preeclampsia, I will be having a c-section at 37 wks. (While usually induction is preferred for GH/p-e births, induction isn't recommended for a VBAC). I assume that they will probably do an amnio to confirm lung development before delivery but after my section is scheduled, I'll meet with the OBs to discuss all of the details. My son was born at 40 wks, so I'm new to all of this.

Here's something I found from the Children's Hospital in AZ website: http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1476/mainpageS1476P0.html --

prenatal corticosteroid therapy - One of the most important parts of care for premature babies is a medication called a corticosteroid. Research has found that giving the mother a steroid medication at least 48 hours prior to delivery greatly reduces the incidence and severity of respiratory disease in the baby. Another major benefit of steroid treatment is lessening of intraventricular hemorrhage (bleeding in the baby's brain). Although studies are not clear, prenatal steroids may also help reduce the incidence of NEC and PDA. Mothers may be given steroids when preterm birth is likely between 24 and 34 weeks of pregnancy. Before that time, or after, the medication usually is not effective.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 1:25pm
One con is that it can cause gestational diabetes. I know this because when my aunt was pg with her twins way back in 1992 they were going to be born too early (not sure how early, though--I was only 16 myself!) and they gave her steroids to help the babies' lungs develop faster. The twins ended up being full term c-section anyway, but my aunt had diabetes the rest of the pregnancy. The twins are now healthy, intelligent, wonderful almost 14 year old boys!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 2:43pm

I only know the pros.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting &nb
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-04-2006 - 5:59pm

More than likely they won't give steroid shots past 32 weeks.

Susan

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker