Frequent Fetal Hiccups- bad sign??

iVillage Member
Frequent Fetal Hiccups- bad sign??
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 9:10pm

I've noticed the past week or so Evie's hiccups are getting much more frequent (about 4 times a day or so). In the past my doctor has said that hiccups are a good sign, but when I googled increased frequency of hiccups, it came up with a bunch of hits about possible problems with the nuchal cord. Now of course I'm freaking out that there is a problem. Sometimes I hate google. Anyone else's baby have frequent hiccups (4 times a day or so??)?? I know I'm probably worrying about nothing, but can't stop thinking about it...

Sara

Baby Evie due May 11th!!

Evie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 9:19pm
Not sure this will help you much but my first, DD, had the hiccups a lot. I don't recall teh frequency but it was often. She turned out fine and the funnything was that she continued to get the hiccups often as a baby and now as a toddler. :) This oneonly had them once or twice that I could tell so it will be interesting to see if he doesn't get them often as a baby! I'm sure everything in fine...I hate google sometimes too! But like everyone says...if your concerned ask your dr. :)
GL!
Carie
Jasmine 5-21-04
Kaden EDD 5-21-07
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 10:01pm

There are some doctors out there that claim frequent hiccups (more than 3x a day) in the womb can be a sign of a problem with the umbilical cord like it is kinked or wrapped around a part of the baby. But there are jsut as many doctors out there that say it is nothing to worry about at all, and that it can just be the baby or could be realted what you're eating. Emma had the hiccups some, and this baby has them a lot more- usually 5 or

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 10:26pm
Okay...here we go, I have got to help you make some distinctions because I have read the same report, and I have also talked to my doctor about this....hiccups are a NORMAL part of fetal development, and in the case of Umbilical Cord Accidents it was reported by some women that they felt that their babies had suffered from long bouts, 15 minutes or more at one time with the hiccups. Some doctors theorize that these were not the hiccups but more likely movements of the heartbeat slowing or even seizure like activity. NOW, for the cord accidents, these are NOT common, and they are more common in women who have had a previous stillborn, or cord accident, as well as cords that are not normal, they are marginal in the placenta, or they are missing one of the arteries, SUA (single umbilical artery) or the improper formation of Wharton's jelly (the part that lubricates the cord) or low amniotic fluid which makes the cord subseptible to trauma. WITH all of this only 1-2 babies per thousand is actually effected by their cords! AND out of those not all of them actually die. I worried about this too, but more importantly than the hiccups you have to monitor that movement, a baby will move atleast 5 times every 3-4 hours...IF you feel no movement in 3-4 hours, then you need to stimulate your baby, if you feel nothing within a half hour call the doctor. I really wish that these reports on the net were more conclusive but many of them are statistics that have been gathered in a haphazard and no clinical fashion, then you have to take in all other factors, high blood pressure, diabetes, lack of prenatal care, interuterine growth restriction, maternal smoking or drug use...IF you have had regular care, and your baby is listened to each week, and you feel movement consistently, and you are taking your vitamins and avoiding hazardous things, and keeping your blood pressure and glucose under control, DONT WORRY about the potential to a cord accident! Many babies are born wrapped in their cords with no problem because the cord is normal. IF hiccups last longer than 15 minutes check with your doctor, chances are they might occur several times in a day but last only a minute or two. I hope this helped you because I made myself sick reading that stuff also, I finally had to TRUST GOD and put it in his hands, and monitor the movements and worry less about "what ifs" calm down and be assured your baby will be fine!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 11:03pm

I wouldn't worry... all three of my pregnancies included LOTS of fetal hiccups. As a matter of fact, I think mine had them 3-4 times today! They are SOOOO annoying to me! It's like someone flicking me over and over... and over and over...! LOL!

Your baby might have them outside of the womb, too. Mine did. It's usually no big deal.

Laurie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2007 - 11:51pm
3-4 times a day I wouldn't worry about. I would worry if they went on for 20 mins. I would probably go in and ask for some monitoring and an u/s to place the cord.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 8:10am

Sometimes I do hate Google and all the (mis)information going around online..With that I'm not saying that it's not good to be cautious but you can find one info and the exact opposite about the same thing and it's very hard to distinguish or to know which one is actually correct. I would think that fetal hiccups seem to be very common part of the pregnancy around the end so if it's indeed that frequent then it must be a normal part of the development/pregnancy so most of the time there's nothing to worry about. Like ppl said these cord accidents are not so frequent at all so I find it doubtful that there's anything to worry about. Of course, asking the dr. never hurts :-)
Both of my DD (DD#1 and this one in the uterus) did and do hiccup a lot, DD#1 still has it frequently especially after eating (or eating a little too much).

Gina
#1 Ashlynn Bailey 5-2-06
*** #2 Kyra Anne 5-11-07 ***

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 1:19pm

Thank you ladies. It's nice to know others have checked into it and aren't worried. It seems like as soon as I've stopped worrying about one thing, I read something else that starts it all over again!! Maybe I should ban any more pregnancy books and articles for the remainder of the pregnancy and just try to enjoy the remaining weeks... ;). Thanks again...

Sara

Baby Evie due May 11th!!

Evie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 1:48pm

I think some babies get them more than others. Period. My first son had them multiple times a day everyday in utero and then frequently once he was born. New baby boy is just the same way. He gets them many times a day...I find it more annoying than anything.

I don't think its a big deal.

Marcella

Raph 3/8/04

#2 May 4

having a baby Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket