My stomach is leaking fluid....HELP!!

iVillage Member
My stomach is leaking fluid....HELP!!
Thu, 10-19-2006 - 3:29am
Ok, I don't know if this is anything to worry about, but at about 11:00 p.m. last night my stomach was itching really bad so I started to scratch. I went to the bathroom a minute later and looked at my stomach in the mirror and noticed there was a tiny dot that was bleeding. I went to wipe it with a kleenex and noticed the blood was mixed with some sort or water. I didn't think too much of it but then looked at it again in the mirror like a minute later (it's on the lower part of my stomach) and saw that a little tiny dot of water was still coming out. I asked my husband about it and he said that's normal...that's happened to him before and I was like you're not pregnant! He reassured me it wasn't a big deal. I wiped it and figured it would stop. Minutes later I looked again and more water was coming out...just a little dot though. I figured if I cover it with a band-aid it would stop. So I went to bed and woke up like an hour ago to go to the bathroom and noticed the band-aid was soaked and the area was a little wet. I was like what the h...! I looked in the mirror and the same tiny little amount of water was coming out. So I put on a new band-aid and now, not even an hour later it's soaked again! What is going on? I dont' want to wake my husband but last night I asked him if he thinks its amniotic fluid and he was like, "your skin has 7 layers..that's impossible for it to be amniotic fluid." But what is it and why won't it stop?? I felt the baby moving a little while ago so I'm assuming he's fine, but I'm still very worried. It's just a little dot but the leaking won't stop. I just took that band-aid off and it was soaked and the area was kinda wet, considering its just a little dot. What should I do? Is this something to worry about??? I'm starting to freak out.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-19-2006 - 7:29am

The last month of each of my pregnancies I have had fluid retention in my lower abdomen. The area is hard and if I push on it with a finger or two a little dent is left in the skin for a moment or two. Some women also get this in their feet, ankles and lower legs during pregnancy. Basically, extra fluid is trapped in the layers of skin and yes it can leak or ooze (I hate that word!) from the area. My abdomen is just starting to get uncomfortable now because of the swelling and it hurts if I bump into anything or when I sit down to pee and it hits my upper legs. It also feels like my old c/s incision is going to pop open because of all of the pressure!! But, like I said I have had this which each pregnancy and I know that I'm not really going to burst open! My OB has told me that any part of the body that "hangs" (abd, hands, legs, feet, etc.) can swell because fluid travels downward. Of course it's easy to prop up your legs or hands to relieve swelling but not so easy to lift that belly. My swelling did not go away until 1-2 weeks after my babies were born.

Hope you feel better!

Kendra
#3 edd 11/14