Gas Stove left on...

iVillage Member
Gas Stove left on...
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 2:31pm
Okay, I am trying not to freak out, and even though I know it is irrational, I need a little reassurance.

I made lunch today for myself and DH. Macaroni & cheese - boxed, but with the foil cheese pack at least. Anyway, when I turned off the stove, I guess I had a pregnancy moment, and didn't turn the knob all the way to the click off.

About 5-10 minutes later, I was in the dining room (open air set up next to kitchen) and I could smell gas. I immediately got up and turned the stove off. DH never smelled a thing. The back door was open the whole time (next room) so the dogs could go in and out, and once I realized what happened I opened a few more windows and went outside to finish my lunch.

So, of course, now I am worried that I exposed my fetuses to dangerous levels of the gas. I probably wouldn't be so worried had I not seen ER a few weeks ago where a pregnant woman woke up early in the morning and her whole family had carbon monoxide poisoning from the heater, and the placenta had actually absorbed most of it making her able to wake up and save the family.

Okay, I know I am neurotic, but I have suffered a m/c, infertility, and had IVF for these 2 and am constantly frightened I am going to screw it up somehow. I just want to know if anyone has any good reason to think that anything could have happened because of it. DH thinks it is fine, but I worry...

Christa

10/13

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 2:38pm
Christa,

I think you should be ok since it wasnt too long you had it on. If you have worries mabe try calling your dr and asking.. My DH did that one night and I just happened to stay up on the internet for a bit and smelt it. It had to have been at least 3 hours!! I knew I kept feeling my nose was burning but couldnt figure out why. As soon as I found out I woke up DH and we opened every window in the place even though it was freezing outside. He also got a fan to bring in the outside air. We didnt die Thank God but it was very scary. I wasnt pregnant at the time so Im not sure how that goes. But since you only had it on for a small amount of time I think you'll be fine. I always remind him about the day he tried to kill us..LOL..and I always make sure to check the gas dials after he cooks.. ;)

Sarah D

EDD#1 10/18/04

11wks3days

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 2:39pm
Christa,

Thank God you caught it so early!

I'm sure both you and the babies are fine. Give your OB/midwife a quick call just to make sure, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts (what in the heck does that saying mean, anyways?!) that all is just fine.

Remember, you have a very heightened sense of smell right now (probably a very good thing in this case); if the back door was open, and DH didn't smell it, it must not have gotten too bad.

Let us know what the doc says, OK?

Jennifer

EDD 10/6/04

PS-

"ER" has a tendency to make me a bit more "neurotic" right now, too!

PSS-

Since you have gas in your home, do you have carbon monoxide detectors?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 2:50pm
Thank you both for posting so quickly. Just got off the phone with the nurse and she said that everything was fine, that I would have had to have been exposed for a long time for it to really do any damage. As DH said, the parts per million were probably so low that it wasn't an issue. But, it is so hard with all these pesky pregnancy symptoms to tell if the headache, dizziness, nausea is from pregnancy or outside influences most of the time! I will do the doppler tonight just to put my mind at ease.

No, we don't have carbon monoxide detectors... I know we should, but I don't know why we never got around to them. We used to have a gas hot water heater inside too, but we just moved it outside to make room for a pantry and all the food I am eating lately! I will put it on the list for the weekend trip to Home Depot!

Maybe I will just make DH cook ALL meals from now on! Just so we don't have to worry! LOL

Christa

10/13

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 2:56pm
Just wanted to add a thought, they add an additive to gas that is used for stoves, etc, so that you can smell it. Carbon monoxide is odorless. I too have a gas stove. I don't remember where I heard this info specifically. But, I have heard it several times. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You weren't exposed for very long.

Jenny
Image hosting by Photobucket 
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2004 - 3:27pm
Hi, I am glad the nurse reasured you. I definitely think you are absolutely fine. Stove gas and carbon monoxide are completely different. The problem with CO is that you can't smell it and by the time you realize you have inhaled it - you are pretty much very sick. Stove gas has the smelly stuff added to it to prevent that sort of problem. You smell it instantenaously and prevent poisoning. You had tons of doors/windows open and you weren't even sittting in the same room. Really. Don't worry. You are absolutely fine.

Magda