Latest Update - 11/08/12

iVillage Member
Latest Update - 11/08/12
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 1:05pm

Hi, everyone.

I'm happy to report that after the office was without power all last week due to the hurricane, the whole team is back in the office as of yesterday! Monday's commute was impossible for some since we only had limited trains into and out of the city, election day was Tuesday, but by Wednesday we were reunited (despite the fact that some people are still dealing with flooded homes or power outages).

As of Tuesday, I'm in a daily meeting with the President of iVillage and the CTO regarding the status of our message board fixes. Every day, we discuss what the priority list is, what progress is being made, what's holding us back, and what resources are needed to cross items off the list.

Right now, the #1 priority (for all of iVillage, not just for the message boards project) is fixing the error pages we're seeing again on the boards. I expect many of these to clear up tomorrow, if not later today. 

They have also released the fix for Viewing Replies. I've been told that many people can now see replies on the site, and on their ipads and phones. If you can't, please PM me or email us, so we can continue troubleshooting! If you could let me know the URL where you can't see replies, what device you're using, and what browser you're in, that would be very helpful.

After the error messages are resolved, the next item on the priority list is fixing the ability to reply. Obviously some of you can reply, but some of you can't...we just need to figure out why that is. 

In the meantime, there are other message board fixes that are being worked on:

>> Fixing the "this email is already in use" error you get when trying to edit your preferences. This has now turned into a mini-project. We believe that if you're getting this error, you probably have a duplicate account in your history with iVillage (same email / various usernames attached to it). Essentially, when you try to change your account settings, our system doesn't know which of your usernames you are trying to affect. I'm waiting on a list of accounts that our system says, "this is a duplicate." 

>> Getting the private team boards (boards only used by CLs and Mods) back online. Also a mini-project, but it looks like we're close!

>> Removing the character limit from the signature field. This impacts more than just the signature field, apparently. I've let the team know that I definitely want the character limit raised, and now I'm just waiting on them to confirm that it's a safe change to make to our system.

>> We got the final version of Lithium's iVillage data, and are (still...) currently importing it into our database. It's so gigantic, it takes a few days! Once it's in, we can begin the process of restoring missing threads, missing boards, your images, etc.

Of course, there are more items on my post-launch, fix-this-immediately list based on your feedback. But this week, the above items have been the focus, and will continue to be until they're fixed and we can move on to the next batch.

I know everyone's tired of hearing "thanks for your patience" and "we're working on it"...I guess I'm running out of different ways to say it, too! But the truth is, we're all still working very hard at debugging these problems, creating fixes for them, testing the fixes, and pushing them live.

Of equal importance is the fact our boards are the top priority for iVillage right now. Work is not slowing down, we're just in a position where we need to give the tech team the time they need. Believe me, I'd like to move my computer back to the tech cave so I can hang on every word they say...but that would be annoying, I guess. :)

As soon as I have something else to report, I will. Thanks for your patience (I really mean that!),

Jess

...keep going!

Community Leader
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 1:12am

Here's a temporary work-around for the frustrating problem of being taken to the end of the replies when you post a reply, instead of back to where you were reading.

Right click the reply button and select either "open link in new tab" or "open link in new window" option.  Your reply will then be separate from the screen where you were reading.  When you're done replying, just go back and read the next post in the thread.  No more searching for where you had been Laughing

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Community Leader
Thu, 11-15-2012 - 9:14pm

"so each time come on the board I have to scroll thru all the old threads to see if there are any new threads."

Twig, I agree that its frustrating that the posts with the most recent activity don't go up to the top, I hope they can get that built very soon. In the meantime, what I do is go to the "See all threads in this board" page which (in my browser anyway) shows the last ~50 posts. To the left of each post title is a speech bubble. The speech bubbles with little lines coming out of them have replies that you have not yet read. For me its easier to look at those than try to remember the last time I visited a board. Maybe you are already doing this, but if not it might improve your board experience a little.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2012 - 3:14pm

Hi...

All the things you mentioned are on the fix list -- where, I can't tell you, but below is the latest list I've gotten about fixes. I do know that today, the priority is the slowness and the 503 errors.

(Jess already shared this list this past Monday, but it's the latest one I have, and I wanted to update even if it was 'no real new update.')

<<Right now, there are 3 buckets of requests I've given the tech team:

Post-launch fixes: Essentially, these are the items on the Top 10 list I created immediately after launch plus any outages / error pages that have cropped up since then. I think it's safe to put "post launch fixes" in the "weeks" column. Thankfully, these message boards fixes are the top priority among all iVillage projects and the entire team is assigned to work on them. At this point, they're all being worked on concurrently. 

Known Bugs: After the post-launch fixes are complete, I'll start prioritizing a few bugs a week for them to fix. This is a long list, so it could take months.

Phase 2 improvements & add-ons: This list includes things like adding back in Tagging or creating a smarter Archiving experience...larger projects that will take weeks of time, each. Also in this bucket -- building features that we didn't launch with (Marking things as read or unread, for example) because our platform doesn't support it.

After post-launch fixes are complete, the plan is to tackle one Phase 2 project while also addressing a few from the Known Bugs column each week.

I wish I had more concrete estimates -- I'll share them when I do! Sometimes, I don't get solid time estimates until the team is close to finding a fix for the item they're working on. >>

Thanks for hanging with us, everyone. I know the frustration levels are high, and I'm sorry it has made it difficult to post to and read and interact with your communities. As always, you can contact me at policy@mail.ivillage.com.

Donna

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2012 - 8:19am

The main problem I'm having as cl is keeping track of new threads on the board. It appears that when I or someone posts a new thread it doesn't go to the first page in the first line... it automatically is pushed to the section "..... see all threads on the board..." which can be on page 2 or 3 or 4... so each time come on the board I have to scroll thru all the old threads to see if there are any new threads. I have missed quite a few so far, I'm sorry to admit. The other thing is that I can not get into my preferences as when I do go there my laptop just freezes, so can't do anything there. Any ideas?

Is making the "newest to oldest " setting sticky being worked on?  Everytime I reply to someone I have to reset it.  Right now it's kinda stuck on "oldest to newest" and keeps automatically flipping back to that in each thread,, so could it be the other way around until it's working? (which I guess is basically what I was asking in the first place LOL)  

Thank you for the new updates and a report on what's being worked on, it does help and I will pass them on to my boardies.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 8:59pm

cdjessica wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">islaywhisky</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-family:verdana,geneva"&gt;Jessica,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-family:verdana,geneva"&gt;In the interests of everyone - including you and your colleagues who are working so hard to get iVillage up and running smoothly again - could you give us a speculative, time-frame before we are in that happy state once again? Should we be thinking in weeks, months or even a year?&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-family:verdana,geneva"&gt;Christopher&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>Thanks, Christopher.</p><p>Right now, there are 3 buckets of requests I've given the tech team:</p><p><span style="text-decoration:underline">Post-launch fixes:</span> Essentially, these are the items on the Top 10 list I created immediately after launch plus any outages / error pages that have cropped up since then. I think it's safe to put "post launch fixes" in the "weeks" column. Thankfully, these message boards fixes are the top priority among all iVillage projects and the entire team is assigned to work on them. At this point, they're all being worked on concurrently. </p><p><span style="text-decoration:underline">Known Bugs:</span> After the post-launch fixes are complete, I'll start prioritizing a few bugs a week for them to fix. This is a long list, so it could take months.</p><p><span style="text-decoration:underline">Phase 2 improvements &amp; add-ons</span>: This list includes things like adding back in Tagging or creating a smarter Archiving experience...larger projects that will take weeks of time, each. Also in this bucket -- building features that we didn't launch with (Marking things as read or unread, for example) because our platform doesn't support it.</p><p>After post-launch fixes are complete, the plan is to tackle one Phase 2 project while also addressing a few from the Known Bugs column each week.</p><p>I wish I had more concrete estimates -- I'll share them when I do! Sometimes, I don't get solid time estimates until the team is close to finding a fix for the item they're working on. </p><p>:)</p>

Jessica, thank you for a clearly explained and comprehensive reply. It was very helpful - and not just for me, I'm sure!

With your three buckets chock-a-block with issues to resolve it's no wonder some will take months to set in place. I'm prepared for a year to pass before the last of these is tackled. It set me thinking: we all have favourite software on our computers (anything from word processors to digital audio/video workstations!). The latest upgrades turn up periodically for us to buy, if we wish. They take many months to re-write and code. iVillage's in-house upgrade is comparable.

I have just had to restart my reply because I was suddenly told to log-in again! It was as if iVillage now has a time-out feature, which I can't believe for a moment. But it matched the time-out element we all have to cope with when banking online!

Christopher

Q: Why did the tightrope walker enter the bank?
   A: To check his balance. Smile

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon i

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 3:38pm

Hi, mom2 --

It looks like several other people have also only ever had one username > email. I'm forwarding all of these examples to the tech team as they continue to investigate this bug. I'll send yours, too.

In the meantime, I'll go try to delete your signature per your request.

Thanks!

...keep going!

Community Leader
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 3:35pm

janetlz wrote:
<p>Anyone else get the "you are not allowed to post comments" message after hitting reply and signing in?  I always have to sign in 2-3X before I can comment......weird.  This time I didn't get the message, but neither was I signed in on the first try.</p><p>Also, why is the text box for entering our replies so small now?  Only 5 lines fit without having to scroll up and down. Kind of annoying......</p><p>Thanks for your work in fixing these inconveniences.</p>

I sometimes get the "you are not allowed..." message but if I just wait a bit the page refreshes by itself and goes to the Add New Comment page. I stay logged in all of the time, although sometimes I am obviously logged in (name appears, rewards banner is correct, etc) but it will take me to the log-in page without any message that I'm not allowed etc.

As for the reply box, usually it is small like you mentioned but occasionally it will be much larger, like 20 lines...I have not yet determined a pattern to that but it may be only when editing after previewing a reply post.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 3:33pm

janetlz wrote:
<p>Anyone else get the "you are not allowed to post comments" message after hitting reply and signing in?  I always have to sign in 2-3X before I can comment......weird.  This time I didn't get the message, but neither was I signed in on the first try.</p><p>Also, why is the text box for entering our replies so small now?  Only 5 lines fit without having to scroll up and down. Kind of annoying......</p><p>Thanks for your work in fixing these inconveniences.</p>

Hi,

I was having the same problem replying this morning. Refreshing the page allowed everything to start working for me. I've filed a ticket with the tech team about this one...we shouldn't have to refresh the page to get Reply to kick in. Smile

Also, you can resize the window where you type your messages. Hover over the bottom right corner and when your cursor turns into a diagonal arrow, click and drag to resize. Woot!

...keep going!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 3:30pm
I am unable to send a reply. I am trying the quick reply here but so I will see if it works. It does not work on the other boards.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 3:26pm

buttons_n_bow wrote:
Thanks for the hard work...any news on how it's coming in regards to after posting it taking you to the end of the thread vs. where you left off?! I've seen tons of other issued fixed and/or addressed but never this issue. ??? It's quite frustrating when you're in a long thread &amp; it pops you to the end of the thread after posting vs. back to where you were.

Hi...and thanks!

That "jump to last unread message" feature is something we knew we weren't going to have after we flipped the switch, because it's not a feature offered by our new platform. So, we'll need to build it anew (along with it's 1st cousin: the ability identify a post as "read" or "new"). Once the tech team if finished with fixing some of the stuff we did launch with, we'll start tackling features like this.

Jess

...keep going!