Message Board Fixes - Updates

iVillage Member
Message Board Fixes - Updates
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 12:52pm

Hi, everyone!

First, I want to say THANK YOU for all of your posts -- some issues we know about and are already working on; but you also brought some new bugs to our attention too. It's a big help to us to see these, and it helps me prioritize what needs to happen immediately, and what can come after that.

After we went live yesterday, thanks to you, the Community Leaders, and the Moderators, I was able to give a long list (Wink) of To-Dos to the tech team.

I'll use this thread to start reporting what our tech team is working on. I'll post a follow-up as things get fixed. 

Right now, this is what is being worked on:

1. Fixing Log In in IE

2. Re-importing missing user accounts (those "Visitor (Not Verified)" accounts), which is also related to the Error pages we get when we click on a thread.(What happens is this: when we click on a thread, the system needs to load all the info about that thread – the content, the settings, and the users attached to it. As the system searches frantically for the all the users participating in that thread, when it hits a missing user account, the page load fails.)

3. Re-importing missing message boards: All of the June 2012 Playgroup; boards in the Current Debates, After School Activities, 2008 Playgroup Friends, 2009 Playgroup friends, and Wedding & Honeymoon Planning topics; and the Nurtured Heart Approach board in the Spirited & High Needs topic. I can't thank our members in these boards enough for your patience!

Additionally, you should start seeing some Avatars reappearing, as well as some Signatures.

Also, you'll notice that header copy is missing from the boards -- that will be reloaded in the next 24-36 hours.

As for the rest of the list, I'm sitting down with the project manager this afternoon to prioritize the next tasks for the team. I'll make features that are not working or missing the highest priority. 

I'll talk to you soon!

...keep going!

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 2:05pm
Can you tell me if all the message board URLs will change? Are all old URLs null and void, that is, no one's bookmarks will work? If so, that might have been something worth warning people about since many people rely on their bookmarks to get to their favorite message boards.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 2:14pm

Hello!  My recent private messages are gone - those I've received and sent in the last few days.  Any hope they will return, as the person I sent them to never even received them yesterday before they disappeared.  Thanks!!

Community Leader
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 2:42pm

Hi Jessica,

Not an urgent fix but something I noticed is that my "friends" list is gone.  Do you know if that information will get transferred over?

Thanks,

Kim

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 10:22pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I hope these boards are fixed ASAP. I can maybe read one or two messages on MAS...the rest say error, blah, blah, blah, when they're clicked on.

I miss MAS!

Good luck

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 6:14am
I haven't been able to log in on safari. Also, when I try to add a siggy, I get an error message that my email is already being used. In quick reply, even if I hit a hard return between sentences, they all post as a paragraph instead of separate lines. Thank you for all the hard work! I'm sure it's not easy to switch it all over.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 10:32am
Can you tell me if or when the problem with posting will be taken care of? When you post, you are automatically taken to the end of the thread vs. where you left off. When you're in DYK, going to the end of the thread doesn't work as you then have to fish your way back to where you were within the thread. (& know what page you were on etc.) Also, when you come to the thread each day, it doesn't remember where you left off so again you have to fish your way through which wastes a lot of precious time that is allotted for boards. I'm also having an issue w/my siggy. I've know where you go to change it & how BUT I keep getting a highlighted message stating that the email is already taken. I never had to put my email in (was logged in w/that address as it is taken...by me!) so I'm not sure where that was coming from. It won't let me "save" the signature because of this "error". (which really isn't an error as it is my email) I'd like to add my signature but can't. Thanks so much!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 10:51am

Thanks for all the incredible work and help. I've really appreciated the extra presence of the Mods on the board as well -- it's really helped in keeping things calmer with this switchover.  While I have a small following, I didn't see the huge freakout I expected from one particular boardie -- she was actually much calmer because CM's LisaB and Donna were right there to answer questions within minutes.  Thanks! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 11:33am

dietdrpepperfan wrote:
Can you tell me if all the message board URLs will change? Are all old URLs null and void, that is, no one's bookmarks will work? If so, that might have been something worth warning people about since many people rely on their bookmarks to get to their favorite message boards.

Great question!

All of the URLS we had with Lithium have been redirected to a new, corresponding URL. Those redirects won't expire. So, if you go to an old Lithium URL today, you'll see that it forwards you to the same (board, thread, etc.) on our current boards.

Let me know if this is not the case with any Lithium-world URLS you have saved, though. I love to report bugs to our tech team! :)

...keep going!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 11:45am

somedaytp wrote:
<p>Hello!  My recent private messages are gone - those I've received and sent in the last few days.  Any hope they will return, as the person I sent them to never even received them yesterday before they disappeared.  Thanks!!</p>

Hi,

I'm having the same problem -- looks like they didn't all get imported. I need to ask about them. (The good news is that all the data Lithium had in their database is now in our database. It's just a matter of finding it in our database and putting it into the boards. I make it sound so easy, right? It's a pretty complex job, but absolutely doable.) 

I've been able to send and receive PMs since we relaunched, though. Can you do this too? Let me know!

Thanks!

...keep going!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 11:47am

justkim2007 wrote:
<p>Hi Jessica,</p><p>Not an urgent fix but something I noticed is that my "friends" list is gone.  Do you know if that information will get transferred over?</p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Kim</p>

Hi, Kim.

I do beleive that we're still supposed to see our 'friends' list. I can't see mine, either. Anyone out there see theirs? Looks like I need to create a bug ticket for this one...

...keep going!

Pages