Message Board Update - 10/19/12

iVillage Member
Message Board Update - 10/19/12
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 6:38pm

Hi, everyone!

What a whirlwind week! We're all so grateful for your input since we flipped the swich on Monday. I was able to quickly put together a to-do list for our tech team, and they're making progress! Here's where we stand, 5 days in:

The team has fixed login on IE, and I'll ask them to take a look at Safari for any issues. If you're still having problems, have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? Restarting your computer? That seems to be resolving the problem for most of our members.

They also restored a bunch of administrative tools the moderators and I need to run the show.

This is what the tech team started working on immediately after we went live, and is currently working on:

As I mentioned here, some of our missing message boards are returning.

Their top priority is fixing that Visitor (not Verified) issue which causes all the unexpected error pages.

Some of your signatures are starting to trickle in. They're still working on reloading the rest. In the meantime, I've also asked them to change that 255 character limit. This should allow you to add a new one. I'll try to get an ETA on this.

They're preparing to reload Avatars. Many users have had success adding a new one. 

They're working on restoring the private team boards for the CLs and Moderators.

They're debugging all the issues related to Replies (can't view them / can't reply), and will deploy a fix as soon as they have one for either issue. The good news is that this will also fix these issues in Mobile.

The very next items they'll tackle, in order of priority, are:

That "email is already in use" error we get when we try to update our preferences.

Debug the logout failure on Mobile

Reimporting missing Private Messages

Reimporting our Bookmarks, Subscriptions, Friends lists, and Images. The guys think they'll be able to resolve all these profile data issues with the same type of fix. 

(These can all be worked on concurrently.)

Ongoing:

They're also keeping one eye on database optimization, making sure our pages keep loading as efficiently as possible.

I know there are many more bugs out there; the Mods and I already have a running spreadsheet, keeping track of all of the items you report. I even already have tickets created for almost all of these items. For now, though, I've asked that the items above be the priority for our tech team. After these are fixed, they'll start tackling all the other bugs.

The tech cave is a very busy place these days!

...keep going!

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 8:02am

Thanks for the hard work...and the regular updates so we know what's happening.  Just curious...will tech be working over the weekend, or have the fixes come to a halt and will resume Monday morning?

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 8:43am

vegiemama wrote:
<p>Thanks for the hard work...and the regular updates so we know what's happening.  Just curious...will tech be working over the weekend, or have the fixes come to a halt and will resume Monday morning?</p>

Well, something's always running in the background (our data imports, processing new code, etc.) that gets checked whenever needed. I'm not sure who's working this weekend, though. In all fairness, they've been working countless weekends, leading up to the relaunch. Wink

...keep going!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 10:08am
Thnaks for the update.

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 10:50am

In case this isn't on your list...a member mentioned that the email notifications aren't working. ETA - and thanks for your hard work! :)

Michelle

Mom to Addison (8) & Gabriel (5)

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 1:55pm

In case this isn't already on your list: when flagging a message as inappropriate, there's no comment box so we can post a reason why we flagged the post.  For instance, I posted up to date info to one of my boards, and wanted to delete the old thread from another cl, that actually contains no message whatsoever.  I was able to flag it as inappropriate, but not say why I was flagging it.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 10:35pm
I actually got an email notification for my subscriptions today which I was pleasantly surprised to see!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 8:11am

Are they going to fix the first letter of the screen names being capitalized? It looks ridiculous and is driving my type A personality absolutely guano crazy. Or at least change mine, I did my SN all lower case for a reason, if everyone else wants to look lopsided and ridiculous, that's their choice. 

Is there also a way to tone down how offensively BRIGHT it is now? I feel like I'm being accosted every time I come on here. Yes I could turn down the brightness on my monitor but then every other website that is designed correctly would be too dark. This website is the only problem. Maybe offset it somehow. CafeMom uses white too, but they have a light blue with it so it's not so HEY THERE GUYS THIS IS A WHIIIIIIITTTTTEEEEE WEBSITE!!!!!! YOU WILL SEE IT.  Is there a purpose to the brightness? Are we keeping wayward sailors away from Rocky Shoals perhaps? iVillage, the new light in the lighthouse? 

Also... I know I can't change my siggy and as far as I know it's not showing up anyway, but when I went and looked at it, it's a siggy I haven't used in like 6 months. Why did it pick that one? And I can't change it because "My email address is already in use" by me... 0_o

Not impressed, and I was a good sport about the last downgrade.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 1:41pm

arryl wrote:
I actually got an email notification for my subscriptions today which I was pleasantly surprised to see!

Lucky you!
Glad the subscribe is working for someone ::sigh::

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 7:28pm

Just making sure y'all see my update about the Visitor / Error pages issue. Looks like we have a fix! 

http://www.ivillage.com/forums/node/119782342

...keep going!