If 276 healthy boys were kidnapped and planned to be sold

iVillage Member
If 276 healthy boys were kidnapped and planned to be sold
Wed, 05-07-2014 - 10:09am

Would the world have done a better job of searching for them? Have they not found the kidnapped children because they were all female? I have been watching the news of the kidnappings in horror. I can't believe that some nutcase has kidnapped and plans to sell over 200 little girls and basically nothing has been done about it throughout the world. I really do think it is because they are girls and valued less than boys by most of the world.

iVillage Member

Different cultures and religions value males and females differently. Anyone who doesn't know that has her head in a box. This is true for Nigeria as well as most of the world. Where a female lives in Nigeria plays a significant part on her expected role in life.

I would agree that if it were boys kidnapped then the news wouldn't be as prominant. It is, however, big news since it is girls and almost everyone in Western Cultures know that girls are not treated the same as boys in other cultures.

Brenda

iVillage Member

marylizard wrote:

Would the world have done a better job of searching for them? Have they not found the kidnapped children because they were all female? I have been watching the news of the kidnappings in horror. I can't believe that some nutcase has kidnapped and plans to sell over 200 little girls and basically nothing has been done about it throughout the world. I really do think it is because they are girls and valued less than boys by most of the world.

I don't know. On one hand, it's obvious that different cultures do not value boys and girls the same way. I am not familiar with Nigeria to make an opinion on that end. However, I do think that this is not getting enough help. Nigeria should be asking for help, not necessarily from the US, but it's clear that this is out of the standard realm that they are used to dealing with. It's a shame. :(

iVillage Member

By the "world", you mean the US.What do you want the US to do? Evade Nigeria with guns ablazing? That would ONLY make things worse.

DON'T believe everything reported on CNN. CNN interviews 'talking heads" with no connection to a particular investigation, surmise, discuss and pass judgements. The "views" of their reporters and experts are reported as news instead of just reporting the facts.

We DO NOT know what is going on behind the scenes in Nigeria. The Nigeria government is not going to broadcast what they are doing to recover the girls to CNN for the girls' safety but I am sure that they have been getting intelligence help from their allies.

And your question is insulting to Nigerians. They value their daughters as much as their sons. In fact, if it had been boys kidnapped, the international press would have lost interest days ago.

iVillage Member

The reason the "world" did not search for the children is because they were not ASKED to.  No one can waltz into a foreign country to look for kidnapped girls, boys, government officials, or dogs, unless the country invites them in.  Nigeria did not.  They said they were handling the issue, THEMSELVES.  It is that simple.