US Catholic Church study blames 1960s permissiveness for rise in sexual abuse

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-19-2011 - 11:35am

Report claims less than 5% of abusive priests were paedophiles as critics accuse it of 'garbage in, garbage out' exoneration
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/19/us-catholic-church-sexual-abuse-report

nwtreehugger  

iVillage Member

Sounds like an attempt at self-absolution. I also wonder if the authors of the report understand how feeble their rationale sounds. Maybe they should go back to the Genesis story of Adam and Eve. "She made me eat the apple" didn't cut any mustard with God!

I also note that there has been a real concern that the church's attitude towards celibacy in any sexual relationship with a woman might have been a contributing factor to the attitude that sex with boys would be less "sinful".

"Few of the abusive priests were paedophiles, as their victims were not all pre-pubescent" and "the majority of victims were aged between 11 and 14".

Jabberwocka

iVillage Member
I know...I figured a minor is a minor!! What does the specific age have to do with anything....unless they are, of course, looking for a scapegoat. Just made me ill when I read this article.

I was having a terrible time getting iVillage to let me post it - don't know why! Gave up on my comments part-way through!

nwtreehugger  

iVillage Member

Priests that sexually abuse any of their congregants, of either sex, are breaking the bond of trust.

The RC church aided in the abuse by moving offending priests to other dioceses instead of reporting them to authorities & taking them to court. This is the main cause of the increase of abuse IMO. Maybe too what appears to be an increase is, in fact, that we're a more open society nowadays & speak-out about such things.

Do abusers seek out work around children? Probably. Others with authority around children have also taken advantage of their positions... The teacher, scout master, friendly neighbour, the uncle but these don't have the RC church complicit in a cover-up.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
This so-called study is a total crock! And an insult to all the victims. :O

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
"This so-called study is a total crock! And an insult to all the victims."

Exactly!! But those in denial will use it as 'proof' that the RC church isn't responsible...'society' is! PhFFT!

nwtreehugger  

iVillage Member

Yeah, right. Blame it all on the Stones. Where have we heard that before?

If permissiveness is due to the 60's, what about all the priests who abused boys during the 40's and 50's? Or the nuns that did their share of abuse as well?

iVillage Member
Exactly!

nwtreehugger