Office 365 vs. Office 2013: Should you rent or own?

iVillage Member
Office 365 vs. Office 2013: Should you rent or own?
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 9:51pm

For the first time Microsoft is tempting Office users to rent, not own, software that for decades they've bought as a standalone program.

Originally designed for businesses, Office 365 allows you to always have the latest version of Office for a yearly subscription fee of $100. You can still buy a boxed version of Office 2013 at your local computer shop with prices starting at $140 for Office 2013 Home and Student. But Microsoft is pushing the $100 per year option for Office 365.

With Office 365 Home and Business you get access to most apps from the Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access, and Publisher. Office 2013 Home and Student, by comparison offers you just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote for $140. To get the boxed version of Outlook 2013 you need to fork over another $80 for Office 2013 Home and Business.

More details here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026703/office-365-vs-office-2013-should-you-rent-or-own-.html

What version of Office do you have now? Would you pay $100 to rent the latest version?

Community Leader

Since I have had a computer Windows came with MS Works, I have never worked in an office and really never good into the office stuff in high school (in the stone age) so that program really confused me and I had no idea what half of that stuff was or how to use it. Then one lady told me that Works was a dumbed down version of Office...and I thought why in the world would I want something more in a program when ever I looked up how to do something it was right there in the program I had and it was the dumb program???......LOL.........You know what I mean. I did used it once in a while for letters etc, but when it came to making cards and lables it was just to hard so I rarely used it.

That said if you NEED an office program then you need to go read the reviews for the new MS 365 it may be what you are looking for. Or it may just be a way for MS to get more money from you. If you need it there may be something to having the latest version.. I would Google it to find out what may be best for you....

Now for me. I have been having destop problems, going to put a new hard drive in and if that works (hope) I will have my Vista till 2017 if not I am going to have to get a new computer with Windows 7 which I don't like or 8 which is worse....but even so I am not going to have an office program put on because I have found for me the free ones such as Google work for me. And it is just something I don't have to have going on the internet to get updates. 

So it just whatever your needs are. I tried several times to use the spreadsheet program and I would get all my numbers in and want to get the totals and everything I put in there went somewhere and I couldn't get it back. So I just pinned the calculator in start menu and do it the old fashioned way... No more pulling hair........lol

iVillage Member

Different strokes for different folks, yet I never liked renting too many gottcha's. Eventually all WP will be XML so 'open office' should do and it's free. On the other hand business is mostly married to Microsoft like they are to Big Iron (IBM) for compatability. In my case only Word, Excel, and Power Point are most often used, using others have been archived in some dusty brain cell's cabinet file. My point is; if it works don't fix it, so if you like an application stick with it till it's wheels fail off. As for renting, you know the folks at Redmond WA can't keep from messing around with software, hey they have to justify their jobs, so yes you'll have the latest Office package available while trying to keep up with all the un-needed improvements. Since I've had my fill of getting a drink from a fire hydrant, I'll keep drinking out of my Office 2007 tap thanks!!!