Ok, folks, I have a question

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-27-2000
Ok, folks, I have a question
Sun, 09-08-2013 - 11:14am

This is not a life changing thing, but we have yet another new computer here.  Our computer aces locally transferred most of what was on the old computer onto this one, we did not choose to keep the old computer since it malfunctioned so badly (Dell).  I had on the desktop this little gadget - it would slide up or down so you could place it wherever you wanted it along the right edge, you clicked on it and it popped open with space to type in a topic or question and all kinds of sites/info would pop up for you to check.  I don't remember what it was called but would like to have it on this computer, too.  I found it pretty convenient and plopped it in an inconspicious spot below the tool bars up above.  Does anybody know what little gadget this is and where to find it to download it?  There was no need to "open up" anything to use it, it just sat there ready to click on all the time, so we both rather liked it.  ???



Avatar for khatru1
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-07-2004
Mon, 09-09-2013 - 4:05pm

not sure about what that application was you had but here is a page to get more out of the search tool thats built in.


Avatar for cmerin
Registered: 01-20-2004
Mon, 09-09-2013 - 3:16pm


Are you running windows 7 or 8? Windows 7 had gadgets: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/gadgets

Windows 8 has the start screen: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/start-screen

I wonder if you were on windows 7, because that's what it sounds like. Unfortunately they discontinued it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gadgets

If you're on 8, maybe you can find an app you'd like? If you're on 7, there may be some gadgets around the web, but do be careful as they can be a security risk.

Let us know if you find it!

Community Technical Assistant | Community Moderator