Tired of being treated like a mushroom
Find a Conversation
|Mon, 11-05-2012 - 1:22pm|
I don't think I've ever posted on this board, but if I have, it's been years. Need to vent, but also need some help. Please bear with me...
Just a little background - I have 20 years experience as an Executive Admin. I've been at my current job for almost 4 years. Because of how our office is set up, 70% of our company is on one floor, and the other 30% is on the other floor. From the day I started there, things were great, I felt like I landed my dream job. Wonderful people, great pay & benefits, etc. About 2 years ago, I was told my job would be "changing". While I was still going to be an Exec. Admin, in addition to supporting the 30 or so people I was hired to support (in addition to one of the VPs), I was then going to be supporting an additional 10 people from another dept. Apparently their Admin was being "reassigned". I supported those 40 people for about 6 months before I was then handed ANOTHER department of about 10-12 people. Mind you there are only about 120 people in my company and 5 Admins. I was supporting 50+ myself. A temp Admin was finally hired earlier this year to "take back" the additional 20 I had taken on. I've spent the last several months training her as well as continuing to support all 50+ people (no additional pay, no pats on the back, NOTHING for any of this). Last week I found out this temp Admin was being permanently hired in ANOTHER department! This morning she tells me that I'm going to be reponsible for taking over her current workload. I'm not against helping out, or backing someone up, but this is insane. Not only that, but why am I getting this news from a TEMP ADMIN? I was furious! I would assume I'd hear this from either my boss or someone in HR. Mind you, the last 2 times there was a "workload transition" I was also told by the other Admin - not my boss or HR. After getting this fabulous news this morning, I talked to my boss. Turns out, he knew NOTHING about all of these changes - and he's a VP!!! Needless to say he's NOT happy. This is the 3rd time HR has gone behind his back with regards to who I'M supporting and MY workload. Oh, and now I'll also be responsible for training the new temp - whenever that is. Word is that won't be happening until after the 1st of the year.
Additionally, over the last year or so, I've noticed that the other Admins seem to have distanced themselves from me. I have no idea why. I'm on a totally different floor from them, don't get mixed up in the office gossip, drama, etc. We all get along just fine, and are friendly with each other but it seems that since I'm on a different floor than all of them, I'm "out of sight, out of mind". It goes without saying that their behavior towards me can be VERY hurtful. Now that this temp Admin will be moving to their floor (she had been sitting near me) I will once again be alone. I'm so sick of always feeling left out, being in the dark, being sh*t on (aka, treated like a mushroom). There is NO respect or common courtesy. My own boss is a great guy, but he's a bit strict (no leaving early, no long lunches...plays by the rules), yet the other Admins can come & go freely, leave early when they need/want to, etc. I don't know if the other Admins distance themselves from me b/c they know how strict he is, and they don't want me or him to "ruin their fun". I've addressed some of these things with one or two of them, and they just blow it off. Then, they go behind my back and talk about me being complainer. Are you kidding???? Last year over the holidays EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM got to come in & go home when they wanted. I had to stay b/c my boss (who wasn't even in the office for 3 weeks) told me I should be there in case someone needed something (they office was practically empty for 2 weeks). Was I upset - yes. This kind of thing always seems to happen to me, but I rarely complain about it b/c I know it won't do any good. Anyway, I'm just fed up.
I don't really want to quit my job (can't afford to), and the thought of a job hunt is depressing. That being said, I'm tired of going to work every day feeling like everyone else is treated like an adult, yet I'm treated differently. My boss tells me repeatedly that I'm doing a great job and my yearly reviews reflect that. I'm so sick & tired of the "cliques" these women seem to be in, and sick of not getting treated with respect. What do I do? I need some words of encouragement. Thanks.