Start Date Dilemma
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 06-25-2014 - 1:42pm|
Hi everyone! I'm faced with a silly dilemma but it's a dilemma for me nonetheless. I recently got a new job which I'm very excited out but the new company is very very very slow in getting things done. I applied in early May and even though the response from my application was quick, after 3 interviews it took over a month to get an offer letter from the last interview point. I accepted the offer letter on monday but I have to complete a background investigation and a pre-employment physical before I am officially "in" and the HR person told me not to put in my two weeks notice at the current job until those two things are squared away which is fair. But she had me decide on a start date before the background inverstation and pre-employment which now I'm getting the feeling will take a while and it may not leave me with enough time to put in my two-weeks let alone accomodate a a couple of days break between the two jobs. I really was hoping to take the opportunity between jobs to get a couple of days to travel or relax because I haven't had a proper break with the job now.
Is it bad form to move the start date with the new employer if the background check and physical results are not approved in good time? They seem very slow moving and I'm actually surprised they wanted me to decide on a start date before i know when i can call it quits with my current job.