personality disorders and abusive relationship ..are they related?
Find a Conversation
|Tue, 01-04-2011 - 5:39pm|
So talking to my therapist today, she is convinced that H has personality disorder.
- It is characterized by at least 3 of the following:
- feelings of excessive doubt and caution;
- preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization or schedule;
- perfectionism that interferes with task completion;
- excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue preoccupation with productivity to the exclusion of pleasure and interpersonal relationships;
- excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions;
- rigidity and stubbornness;
- unreasonable insistence by the individual that others submit exactly to his or her way of doing things, or unreasonable reluctance to allow others to do things;
- intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses.
- (he fits at least 6 out of 8 above)
Looking at symptoms, he fits at least 60-70% of the symptoms.
Also he fits this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder
At least three of the following must be present, one of which must be (2):
- marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences;
- marked tendency to quarrelsome behaviour and to conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized;
- liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioural explosions;
- difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward;
- unstable and capricious mood.
Wondering any thoughts on this or have you noticed same in the abusers you have encounterd? Does the disorder lead to them being abusive..?