The Biggest Health Trends of 2013

iVillage Member
The Biggest Health Trends of 2013
Thu, 12-20-2012 - 6:01pm

From to earthing to natural breast implants, health experts tell us what we’ll see in 2013

Any of these on your 2013 to do list?
I already walk barefoot as much as possible.
I have recently seen an acupunturist...interesting to say the least - didn't see that on the list
I already eat a ton of greens :D

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-21-2012 - 8:54am

I have wondered if a chiropractor would help with some of my back pain.  I think that one is on my list for next year.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 8:26am

Hi Happy 50's!  Nice to have you here ;O)

I have never tried a chiropractor, have tried acupuncture and that worked.

Hope to see you again soon....

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 8:32am

Hi Thia,

I also have tried acupuncture for various orthopedic problems.  It does help me.  My dh had some acupuncture done on his face and ears for tinnitus and that didn't help him.   My acupuncturist says that either it does or it does react with the body....

I like to walk barefoot too and I do think it's healthy for the feet and we have floor heating so in the winter it's really nice in the LR.  I also just love to walk around in the evening or early morning damp lawn in the summer, very stimulating for sure.   I have to wear orthonic in my slippers though so can't walk around all day without them.

The article was interesting.  I had a sensivity to soy /soy products and gee let me tell you that trying to eliminate soy from your diet is sooooo difficult.  Do you know even most cardboard boxes have soy products in them?  Amazing.....  and not to mention cosmetics,, hand creams,, YIKES!

the thing I liked the best in the article was "being mindful".  I think that is very good advice and will try to follow that train of thought this coming year,  and hoping it will improve my very nasty eating habits.   

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 1:28pm

Good things to think about. My dh and I both have painful feet and cannot go barefoot or even in slippers.

I tried acupuncture and it did help a little, but was too costly as often as I'd have to have it done.

On my current diet, I've been off of dairy and grains and my arthritis pain have gone away. When I reached goal, I just decided to keep those at a very minimal, mostly only eating them in restaurants maybe.

I do my 'personal training' at home, I am the 'trainer', and that works best for me. I do keep up with exercising 6 days a week.

Lots of greens and green tea is a regular thing with me as well as other low carb veggies and fruits.

Thanks for the tips as it's always a good reminder to keep doing the good things we're already doing!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 9:26am

I couldn't help but think that the section on having a good "mindset" might be an idea for one of your lectures at TOPS this year.....  you will be doing those this year right?

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 2:55pm

Oh, yes, mindset is a rather common lesson topic that comes up fairly often. Then we have to figure out how to say the same thing in different ways..lol! You're right, this is a good time of year to do it again. I give the lesson again January 22nd. I'll decide on the topic after I hear what the other two people talk about on the 8th and 15th. Right now, my mind is set on maintenance, but most of our members aren't there yet, so I'd have to figure out how to talk about it plus motivation to get there at the same time. We'll see.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 9:19pm

I have always been a barefoot babe! I agree with that one- there is just something about sitting in the grass & walking barefoot that feels soo good! I do eat my greens and lots of veggies all my life...nothing new there! I do like my soy Silk once in awhile instead of milk. My doctor in  PA was a doctor of intergrative medicine. I liked her approach on a lot of things when it came to health and stress. It was all in the diet and exercise & yoga helped me alot. I have gone through menopause naturally and other health issues including stress/depression from a bad divorce without taking any meds.
I agree with the no insurance and paying the bill. I have 2 part-time jobs and have been without insurance for seceral years. If you only go to the doctor once a year for a physical yu will pay less for that appt than you do all year for the ins coverage.Same for a routine dental visit. I paid under $300 for eye appt & 2 pairs of glasses.Some people I know pay that after insurance. It is a crazy racket. Yes, I worry if I got really sick or injured but then that is what a payment plan is for! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 2:58pm

Thanks for the welcome Twig :D

Ok so I went to the acupuncturist/chiropractor and it seemed to help a little. He was a Dr in China but is not one in the US...wow some of it was rough and painful, not the needles just the massage, and he did the suction bottles on me and those hurt a bit but after a couple days the pain in my shoulder went away for about a week.

I think I should try acupuncture by itself to see if there is any benefit for me.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 10:09am
Hi happy 50's I have had the suction bottles ,, that was very helpful and I wold do it again... it didnt hurt me much, perhaps a bit uncomfortable but it sure left nice black and blue circular marks on my back... but helped my problem at the time. The same dr gave me two shots of snake venom in the tonsil area,,, it didn't hurt, but it did help.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 10:15am

Hi Pat,

we pay quite a bit for health insurance and it just went up (got the notice 2 days ago, bummer) but I admit I would be too scared of not having it.  I have had 7 major surguries and can't imagine how I would have paid for them all had I not had health insurance.  At any rate, it is mandatory here or at least it was..... 

I do however agree that it is a real racket... amazing how much they can squeeze out of little adjustment on their part....  like for drugs,, used ot be that it covered the entire cost of meds (including dental) then all of a sudden BING! no dental for crowns or root canal....  go figure and  then it changed to having to pay up to $10 per perscription for items over that amount.  Little things but really adds up....  ;O) 

I did not know you did yoga,, do you still?