Books? re: 1001 questions to ask types..

iVillage Member
Books? re: 1001 questions to ask types..
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 4:51pm

Did any of you go over those pre-marriage books with your new spouse? You know the, 1001 questions to ask before you get married types?

My boyfriend and I are talking engagement, moving in, marriage, and while we aren't the most "chatty" couple (going over every possible detail), we are more the "doing" couple - we enjoy doing things together as our bonding.

We've been dating 2 years so far, and everything I see I love about him. He has never been married. I was the one that was married before for just over 5 years. No kids. I really wanted to do it "right" this time, so I read just about every book I could get my hands on about marriage, relationships, love, etc. The idea of another book (this 1001 questions to ask before marriage) seems logical to me. And I found me a great guy.

I like to be prepared, but I know you cannot figure out every single situation and what you would do prior to marriage. Just wanted some input to see if it uncovered what you needed. I am sure we should cover some other things that don't naturally pop up in everyday conversation.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 5:35pm

"Right....and I dont need a book to tell me that. I know that because I am an intelligent, adult woman with life experience."

I'm sorry, but this sounds a little condescending to the women who DO need a book to help start or open up conversations with their SO's. It makes it sound like you're saying people who need it aren't intelligent, adults, w/life experiences.

If I'm reading it wrong, I apologize for the assumption. We can't tell tone nor what people truly mean. However, if you do mean it to say people who need books aren't what you are, let me know.

Hosted by imgur.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 9:12am

Oh, I read RQ's respone and it screamed 'arrogance'.

The choices we make in thought, word and deed inevitably return to us in kind.

Pages