Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 2:58pm

So I'll start this off ...

1. Do you have any long-term goals that you would like to accomplish? Yes,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 5:49pm
Thanks for setting this up this week, Marin. It's been a hectic day, and I just haven't gotten to it.

1. Do you have any long-term goals that you would like to accomplish?

Okay, I'm finally going to go public with a few of my health goals. So...

1. Lose 50 lbs. (This really is more about health than vanity at this point.)

2. Health appointments: OB/GYN, GP, Endocrinologist, Dermatologist

3. Transition some of our foods into organic. (I don't think everything needs to be organic, but some things do.)

4. Become more active -- in whatever way I can make that happen

5. Find some routine time just for me. Let's face it, I love being a SAHM, but I need a break on occasion.

6. Write something. Routinely.

2. What are your goals this week?

1. Meet my calorie range every day, and drink 64 ounces of water daily.

2. Schedule my OB/GYN appointment.

3. Actually plan our weekly menu before grocery shopping, and transition 1 item to organic.

4. Move at least 5 minutes per day outside of my normal duties.

5. Leave Toby with Tom for at least half an hour and do something just for me.

6. Buy Tom & Toby's Valentine's Day gifts.

7. Find possible real estate agents in the Fort Gordon area, and look at their listings.

8. Choose a project to work on, and spend 15 minutes of Toby's naptime working on it at least twice this week.

3. Do you have something motivational to share?

"Think highly of yourself because the world takes you at your own estimate."

4. Give us a progress update!

Last week, I met my calorie range and water intake most days, and I appear to be on track to lose another 2 pounds at tomorrow's weigh in. But that's about it. So far, this week, I'll probably go over on calories today because I didn't plan for dinner out (which Tom just came home and announced), but I have my water in today. I'm taking a break from menu planning to type this, and I think potatoes will be our organic item I add this week. I haven't moved for 5 minutes today, but I'll try to take a short walk before we leave for dinner. And, I've been looking at real estate agents and their listings all afternoon (to the detriment of cleaning my house).
By Dedi (mom2jess_n_ky) on iVillage Sig Showcase

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 6:39pm

Mel,

Yay for meeting your calorie and water intake goals for last week!

I've also been working on incorporating more organic food into our diet. I can't afford to go 100% organic, so I started with meat. We just purchased beef from a local farmer, and it tastes so different (more delicious) and has a different texture

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 9:51pm

1. Do you have any long-term goals that you would like to accomplish?

1) Full draft of my Masters paper by March 12 (so Spring can be spent editing, not writing the whole thing)
2) Name change paperwork
3) Eye appointment, dentist appointment
4) Drop some pounds (clothes aren't fitting as well, and I can't afford new ones!)
5) Exercise regularly (at least 3x per week)
6) Menu plan
7) Budget for more locally grown/organic foods. Mostly veggies and fruits first.
8) Try more recipes and expand the number of foods I eat.

2. What are your goals this week?

1) Finish annotated bibliographies for class
2) Re-read through my primary sources and come up with a time line of explorations
3) Use that time line to begin a more detailed look at explorations
4) Make appointments
5) Exercise at least two times this week
6) Beware of the calories I am consuming - no more mindless eating!
7) Actually do the research in some of these library books!

3. Do you have something motivational to share?

" Success never comes to those who sit and stare; it comes to those only who act and dare." - Author unknown

4. Give us a progress update!
I'm sure I have not done whatever I set out to do. haha
~ I exercised once last week - the rest of the week it was raining and cold.
~ I have been drinking more water

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 11:05pm

I'll probably try to go with meat next, but I need to check out the selection at our grocery store (or find another source) and plan accordingly. I'm very familiar with the organic produce section already because when I buy fresh fruits and veggies for Toby, I buy organic. So, I could plan for that without much effort. I chose potatoes because we eat a lot of them (I roast them a couple of times a week and usually make enough for Toby to eat some and for us to have leftovers), and I've run across a few articles that listed potatoes as a food that safety experts personally feel is among the "organic musts" (i.e. food that they wouldn't eat themselves or feed their families the non-organic varieties).

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do with milk. Tom and I drink a LOT of milk (about 2 gallons a week), so it's daunting to think of switching that to organic for the whole family since organic milk costs about 3 times as much as regular milk here. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll serve only organic to Toby, but I wonder about the benefits for me & Tom. It sort of seems like the damage has probably already been done to us, and it's not like Toby can drink from our jug anyway since he'll need whole while we drink skim. But I admit I don't fully understand exactly what the problem is with "conventional" milk. Is it antibiotic resistance or is it growth hormones or what?

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 9:44am

Mel,

Thanks for the info on potatoes - I haven't done much research on organic vegees, and it's really helpful to know that. We don't eat potatoes that much, so it's something I could afford to go organic.

I know what you mean about meat - it was hard at first because a lot of the supermarkets in our area didn't sell organic meat. Our local Giant finally started selling it, and now I stock up every time it's on sale and freeze it.

I also went organic on milk, but we don't drink that much so it wasn't so painful. I've never tried this, but I've heard that you

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 1:09pm

Good luck with your Masters paper (and, of course, the other goals), Tracy! Does that mean this is your last semester?

:-) Marin

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 12:15am

Yes! Thanks Marin. :) We are on the quarter system, so I'll be done in June! I'm excited, but a little nervous about the job market. I figure everything will work itself out. :)

The PhD transition debate has been going on, with my adviser and the 3 PhD students in the lab weighing in. While it would be easier to apply and, if accepted, take time off, it would be three years from now that I would come back, as that's when Y's contract is up (if he doesn't reenlist again). I don't think it is worth my time, or those I'd ask to form a committee, so I will not apply. And I'm at peace with the decision. Which, I think, means I'm making the right move.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 10:46am
Mid-week update time!

1. Meet my calorie range every day, and drink 64 ounces of water daily.

~ I'm doing pretty well on this one, though I was a little over on calories yesterday due to an error in my tracking that I made early in the day but didn't catch until it was too late.

2. Schedule my OB/GYN appointment.

~Done!

3. Actually plan our weekly menu before grocery shopping, and transition 1 item to organic.

~ Shopping today. Most crucial produce items are being transitioned.

4. Move at least 5 minutes per day outside of my normal duties.

~ Does "fun shopping" count? It is quite the workout with Toby climbing out of his cart/stroller and me packing around the diaper bag.

5. Leave Toby with Tom for at least half an hour and do something just for me.

~ Not yet.

6. Buy Tom & Toby's Valentine's Day gifts.

~ I bought part of Tom's yesterday.

7. Find possible real estate agents in the Fort Gordon area, and look at their listings.

~ I've found/looked at 2 so far.

8. Choose a project to work on, and spend 15 minutes of Toby's naptime working on it at least twice this week.

~ Oops. Forgot this one. Better get to it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 11:29am

Good idea, Mel! Here's my mid-week update:

1. Practice
Photobucket

Pages