Monday Motivation: Week of 02/01/2010

iVillage Member
Monday Motivation: Week of 02/01/2010
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 10:39am
Good morning, and welcome to another week! It's time to set some goals and motivate each other to accomplish everything we wish to accomplish!

If you have any long-term goals, resolutions that you made over New Years or general ideas of things you would like to accomplish, this is the place to start! Many experts have said over and over again the goal-setting is the best way to achieve anything because if you know what you are reaching for, you can take the right steps toward it.

The advantage of this thread is that we can all help each other. Especially when somebody accomplishes a weekly milestone they find difficult, we can cheer them on. This thread also gives each of us a chance to put our goals to paper and report back in on progress. When you see progress, it's easier to stay motivated!

So here are the questions for the week:

1. Do you have any long-term goals that you would like to accomplish?

2. What are your goals this week?

3. Do you have something motivational to share?

4. Give us a progress update (either on last week's goals or this week's so far)!
By Dedi (mom2jess_n_ky) on iVillage Sig Showcase

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 10:56am

1. Complete my Toastmasters advanced communication manual by Jan 2011

2. Finish my taxes by March 1, 2010 (we are gone most of March, and I won't have the stress of taxes hanging over my head on holiday!)

3. Make regular exercise a habit

1. Purchase tax return software

2. Change my auto insurance bill to monthly payments

3. Walk at least 3 times for 1/2 hour

4. Finish the rough draft of the mini-ebook that I am writing

The average person has to set a New Years resolution ten years in a row before he accomplishes it. One of the Toastmasters members at my club took 27 years to complete the first ten speeches (and he is an excellent speaker). If you don't achieve your goal the first time, don't give up. Take baby steps, and you will get there!

4. Give us a progress update (either on last week's goals or this week's so far)! I did ok - I completed some goals but not others, although I did complete my biggest goal, so that's what matters most!

1. Practice speech #10 for Toastmasters - practiced and completed it on Wed

2. Set up Federal health savings account
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 11:11am

1. Lose 50 lbs.

2. Health appointments: OB/GYN, GP, Endocrinologist, Dermatologist

3. Transition some of our foods into organic.

4. Become more active -- in whatever way I can make that happen.

5. Find some routine time just for me. Let's face it, I love being a SAHM, but I need a break on occasion.

6. Write something. Routinely.

1. Meet my calorie range every day, and drink 64 ounces of water daily.

2. Move at least 5 minutes per day outside of my normal duties.

3. Transition the rest of the necessary produce to organic.

4. Leave Toby with Tom for at least half an hour and do something just for me.

5. Pack up all unnecessary items to be shipped to my parents' house prior to our next move.

6. Buy the rest of Tom's Valentine's Day gifts.

7. Find another real estate agent in the Fort Gordon area, and update my search through listings. Options are important.

8. Choose a project to work on, and spend 15 minutes of Toby's naptime working on it at least twice this week.

Here is an article I found this morning on setting goals. It's focused on weight loss but can be adapted to pretty much anything.

4. Give us a progress update (either on last week's goals or this week's so far)!

Last Week's Goals:

1. Meet my calorie range every day, and drink 64 ounces of water daily.

~ I met my calorie range on 5 days. I was over once and under once. I met my water goal on 4 days. I've lost 6 pounds so far.

2. Schedule my OB/GYN appointment.

~ It is scheduled for next week. Oh joy.

3. Actually plan our weekly menu before grocery shopping, and transition 1 item to organic.

~ I actually transitioned 3 items to organic (potatoes, bell peppers, and celery).

4. Move at least 5 minutes per day outside of my normal duties.

~ I technically did this 5 days, but I don't feel like it counts because the movement was during non-routine errands, and most of my routine chores got only halfway done because I wasn't home much. So I'm considering this one a general failure for the week.

5. Leave Toby with Tom for at least half an hour and do something just for me.

~ I had planned to leave Toby with Tom and go to the bookstore yesterday afternoon. In the end, I chickened out because I felt guilty about taking an hour away from family time. I did ask Tom to rock Toby to sleep last night so I could take an extended (i.e. more than five minute) shower. I felt bad when I got out of the shower and heard Toby crying for "Mama," though. Turns out he's a little spoiled to me doing it, so I had to go rock him.

6. Buy Tom & Toby's Valentine's Day gifts.

~ I decided Toby doesn't need an actual gift, and I bought part of Tom's. I'm having trouble finding the rest of it.

7. Find possible real estate agents in the Fort Gordon area, and look at their listings.

~ I found 2 and looked at their listings online.

8. Choose a project to work on, and spend 15 minutes of Toby's naptime working on it at least twice this week.

~ Didn't get done. At all.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 1:01pm

Mel,

Congrats on losing 5 pounds! That's a huge milestone considering how difficult it is to lose that much (at least to me it is). My problem is sugar cravings. Have you had success in overcoming cravings? Any tips?

:-) Marin

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 1:06pm

Mid-week update time!

It's never too late to add any weekly or long-term goals that you have, by the way. :-)

My goals for this week are to:

1. Purchase tax return software - I purchased H&R Block Tax Cut online on Monday
  2. Change my auto insurance bill to monthly payments - I also did this on Monday
  3. Walk at least 3 times for 1/2 hour - I have walked 2 times for 1/2 hour each this week, so I'm on track
  4. Finish the rough draft of the mini-ebook that I am writing - I did some work on the ebook on Monday, but I still have quite a bit to do before I complete the rough draft.

I didn't put this as a weekly goal, but I also wanted to get the oil changed in my car during February - I did that last night.

Mel and Tracy, I don't know about you, but I think goal setting is really helping me. I've noticed that I'm procrastinating less about things on my list. When I see them written down, I feel more motivated to complete them!

:-) Marin

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 5:00pm

Thanks, Marin!

I've always had a problem with cravings, too. That's why I decided there would be no strict deprivation this time around. If I deny myself everything I crave, I know I won't be able to stick with what becomes more of a "diet" and less of a "lifestyle change."

I'd say I'm doing so well this time because I've simplified a lot. I just focus on journaling everything I put into my mouth, planning as much as I can, finding healthier options, and not feeling guilty.

For the life of me, I don't know why I ever quit journaling my food intake. I KNOW it works. Shortly after my first battle with lupus and thyroid cancer, I lost 40 pounds -- mostly by journaling. But the truth is, it's a pain the rear at first. Starting to journal means calculating nutritional and serving information for every recipe you make, weighing and measuring everything, etc. (The good news is that after awhile, you can start eyeballing a little more because you start to learn what a tablespoon or ounce of something really looks like -- especially if it's something you eat often.)

The journaling also helps me plan my days so I can indulge cravings when I have them. For instance, my calorie range is 1200 to 1550 per day, and I try to plan so that my meals amount to a total of 1200-1300 calories, allowing me 200-300 for snacks and cravings. It doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised how little it can take to satisfy a craving if you're mindful of it.

I've also worked really hard on finding ways to indulge my cravings in the healthiest way possible because I know that simply denying them or trying to satisfy them with an iffy substitute won't work. You will never see me reach for fruit if I'm craving chocolate. I don't care how many health nuts tell me that fruit will satisfy my sweet tooth. I know it won't. (Though I will admit that including bananas or peanut butter in my breakfast every morning has dramatically cut down my craving for sweets throughout the day. I'm not sure why.) Instead, you'll see me get out a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, measure out exactly 1 servings (which is 15g or 2TB at 80 calories), and pour myself an 8-oz glass of milk. Then I'll eat those suckers 1-2 a time because that gives me time to really appreciate it.

On the sugar craving note, one thing I learned while I was pregnant is that artificial sweeteners can really mess you up. From the moment I found out I was pregnant with Toby, I cut all artificial sweeteners because there's a question as to whether or not many of them are truly safe to consume during pregnancy (and after 2 miscarriages, I wasn't taking any chances). Then, toward the end of my pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I still did my best to avoid them, but I had to make some exceptions, and I discovered that when I did, my cravings for sweets skyrocketed. I asked my doctor about it, and she said that artificial sweeteners are actually one of the worst things people do because they shortwire the body's ability to figure out if it really needs sugar. It's much better to have actual sugar in moderation. In the end, you'll actually crave it less because your body will start re-associate the sweetness with the physiological reaction sugar triggers.

Anyway, I've also learned to modify a lot of my recipes. I figure all of this has to be sustainable, so we need to continue to eat the things we like to eat. So far, I've shaved 200 calories off pad thai by learning to make it from scratch instead of using a box kit, 100 calories off taco salads by substituting black beans for tortilla chips (bonus: the substitution bulks the salad up enough that we use less meat and are too full for seconds, so we save even more), and about 400 calories off spaghetti by substituting Boca soy crumbles for frozen meatballs. Those savings are per portion, by the way, and they are all changes Tom and I have both agreed we can live with permanently.

And finally, I've refused to feel guilty. Tom came home one night and, at the last minute, wanted us to go out to dinner with some of his classmates. I knew it would probably put me over my calorie range for the day, but I wasn't about to tell him we couldn't go because of my diet. Instead, I said "sure," and when we got there, I asked for my salad dressing on the side, asked for my butter and sour cream on the side of my potato, and limited myself to half a piece of the texas toast with my steak (which I ate only half of because it was HUGE, and I ate only until I was satisfied). I did end up going over my range by about 100 calories, but I didn't feel guilty about it because I didn't see the point. I do the best I can with every meal I have complete control over, and then when I don't have control, I make the best choices I can make. If I have an off day, it's okay. I'd rather have an off day than not be able to do the things I enjoy. I just make sure that when I splurge, it's for something that really matters.

(And for the record, I "officially" weighed in yesterday. I am down a total of 6.5 pounds over the past 3 weeks, and this is the first time I've lost that much without feeling deprived one little bit. I'm pretty darn proud of that.)

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 9:57am

Mel,

I laugh every time someone says to reach for fruit instead of chocolate. I'll eat a piece of fruit, and I still crave chocolate. To me, fruit is a snack or part of a meal, not a dessert. :-)

I'm trying to cut back on sweets too, and I agree that I just have to indulge myself. One thing I've found is that dark chocolate satisfies my cravings with less - if I eat milk chocolate, I don't want to stop eating it (which must be related to the extra sugar because I prefer the taste of dark chocolate).

I'm trying to make gradual changes, although unfortunately, I'm noticing very little difference in my weight. I've probably lost about 1-2 pounds over the past few weeks. One of the biggest changes is that I've cut

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 3:26pm
Oh, I forgot to mention that one!

We've started limiting our meat to 3-4 ounces per meal and bulking up our plates with steamed vegetables and beans. Those are low enough in calories (and high enough in nutrition) that we can practically eat all we want.

I've cut back on snacking too. I need some snacks to keep my metabolism running smoothly, but I've figured out that "snack" doesn't mean "small meal" and that "some" means "one or two" instead of "three or four." I have to really work to fit in a morning snack because that's the busiest time of day for me. It's when I'm really concentrating on errands and chores so I can have them done before Toby's more high-maintenance afternoon. So my morning snack is usually a cup of milk just to get some calories in my body. Afternoons are easy because Toby likes a snack too. He likes to crawl up in my lap and eat yogurt melts while watching something on PBS, and he doesn't mind if I nosh on some sweet peppers and hummus or something. Correction: He LOVES it it when I have hummus because when I'm finished, I let him stick his hands in the cup and eat the leftovers off his fingers.

Anyway, here is a list of healthy snack options from self.com, and here is the Never Say Diet Snack Swapper tool.