QOTD Monday, 11/15/2010

iVillage Member
QOTD Monday, 11/15/2010
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 8:09am

Good morning, and welcome to another week! Here are today's questions...

1. Did anything unexpected happen this weekend?

2. Today is America Recycles Day. What is one thing you try to do for the environment?

3. What's on your agenda for today?

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 8:22am

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 12:33pm

Not really. I went to Spain! I did

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 12:35pm
Melanie I've been wanting to ask you this for a while now....what do you write?
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 8:19pm

Novels. Well, other things too, as I've written articles, blogged "professionally," written training manuals and other corporate copy for various companies, written radio spots, and written a book on dating (which was never published due a legal dispute with the co-author who turned out to be a bit...well...crazy). Oh, and I helped with character development for a high school friend's improv show, but I'm not so sure that would count for anything since the main reason he asked me to help was not only because I write (and therefore, know how to develop characters) but because the character was based on me. But mostly, I focus on noveling in the hopes that one day the world can read my work.

My first novel is a quite epic vampire novel (I was writing vamps before they sparkled, and mine don't drink synthetic blood or have consciences...yet they're still darn likable) based on a character I created while I was still in high school (way back in 1994) in a role-play chat. It's incredibly long. I've had some interest expressed in it, but the main sticking point is the length. Publishers rarely want to take a risk on a HUGE book with a first-time author, so I'm going to have to make some changes. I just need to figure it out. Once that's finished, I'll work on the next book in the series and hope someone bites.

This month is NaNoWriMo, which is not conducive to any project during which I cannot silence my inner editor (no literary baby like my first novel this month), so I'm trying my hand at chick lit with a character I got the idea for before a vacation in 2005. So far, it's not my best work, but I think it's showing potential.

In all, I've fully written two novels, have another about 90% completed (it's just that there's SOMETHING missing), have written a dating book (which I've considered pulling back and re-working as a solo project if I can get around the legalities of it), and am about halfway (give or take) through this one.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 2:21pm

Wow. That's awesome! I'm sorry to hear the dating book didn't work out because of the crazy person. I'd like to read your novels! I've never read any of the Twilight books (not because I'm a pretentious Literature major who thinks Im too "good" or "academic" to read them) or any other novels about vampires but

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:33pm

I'm not published...yet. The Draelynkhar novel has come closest. It's garnered a lot of interest, but the sticking point is always the length. I don't think I was really ready to let go of it enough to really go through the editing process until now, so I'm taking some of the professional advice I've gotten into consideration and working on it. Hopefully, it won't take me long to get it ready for submission again, and hopefully, my contacts will still be interested (I think they will be; at least one contact routinely inquires).

I've never submitted the second novel. I'm not sure why. I guess I've just never felt like it was ready. Or maybe I've been too focused on other things. To be honest, until very recently, writing has taken a major backseat for a few years. I went through some major life changes, and in that process, I felt like I lost my voice as a writer. I've only recently started finding it again.

And, well, you know as much as I'll reveal here about what happened with the dating book. The whole ordeal used to upset me a lot, but I've come to realize that it was probably a good thing. I'm not sure I'd want to make my career writing self-help. Then again, being paid for writing is a good thing. In hindsight, I'm more upset about the loss of a friend than anything else.

As for getting started, well, I'm probably not the person to ask. I've been extremely lucky in that I've completely lucked into every professional contact I have through personal contacts. I do know that there are listings of publishing contacts available at most local libraries and that there is at least one website dedicated to helping creative freelancers find work (sorry I can't think of the name of it at the moment... sologig maybe?).