Military pay freeze for 2011????

iVillage Member
Military pay freeze for 2011????
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 12:11am

I havent been around because I do have a sinus infection so if someone else already posted this Im sorry. I just skimmed over it and I hope they dont do this

Presidential Panel: Freeze Military Pay
A presidential commission on reducing the deficit has recommended freezing basic military pay and housing allowances for three years starting in 2011. A three-year freeze at 2011 levels for these compensation categories would save the federal government $7.6 billion in compensation and tax expenditures, as well as another $1.6 billion in less retirement accrual, or $9.2 billion total discretionary savings in 2015.

Found this on military.com heres the link to the full article I havent read it yet just the part that I pasted. http://www.military.com/news/article/presidential-panel-freeze-military-pay.html?Esrc=finance.nl

Image hosting by Photobucket 

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 6:37pm

I totally agree there are better areas to cut. In fact I think they should make all politicians live off an e-4 salary for 3 yrs, that would save GOBS of money, and give them some much needed perspective. Don't you agree? (Just think about it...if you're not smirking at the thought have someone check your pulse)

:D

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 6:39pm
"I still think there are probably better areas of government to cut spending though, especially when so much is being asked of our military families these days."

This is my biggest problem. We are in a time now where more and more is being asked of our military and it seems like a slap in the face to say, "sorry, you aren't deserving of a raise". Usually, I barely notice the January raises because it's not a huge amount but to me, it's the principle. It's a little way of saying that all of their hard work and effort is appreciated.

I also agree with you on the BAH thing. It's a bunch of junk that they would freeze that. It's hard enough in some areas to find decent housing that comes in under BAH. If that stayed the same for 3 years, it might be dang close to impossible.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 6:56pm
Or our politicians could donate their time ;) HA!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 4:03pm

Agreed!

Photobucket

Pages