Military pay freeze for 2011????

iVillage Member
Military pay freeze for 2011????
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 12:11am

I havent been around because I do have a sinus infection so if someone else already posted this Im sorry. I just skimmed over it and I hope they dont do this

Presidential Panel: Freeze Military Pay
A presidential commission on reducing the deficit has recommended freezing basic military pay and housing allowances for three years starting in 2011. A three-year freeze at 2011 levels for these compensation categories would save the federal government $7.6 billion in compensation and tax expenditures, as well as another $1.6 billion in less retirement accrual, or $9.2 billion total discretionary savings in 2015.

Found this on military.com heres the link to the full article I havent read it yet just the part that I pasted. http://www.military.com/news/article/presidential-panel-freeze-military-pay.html?Esrc=finance.nl

Image hosting by Photobucket 

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 6:55am

I think I saw a similar article awhile back. And I'm confused about a couple things.

Are they saying no more raises? (like the yearly 3% raise and BAH adjustments) We're still going to be PAID right?

They're just not going to adjust it every year for the next three years, so whatever the basic pay is for 2011 is what it will be for 3 yrs, same for BAH? Am I correct?

I can't comment further until that is cleared up... ;)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 9:57am
Yeah, Dedi, that is the gist of it. If they were to do this, whatever the basic pay and BAH rates are starting in January would be that way in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

The fact that they would even suggest this annoys me but I highly doubt any politician would vote for this. I think they know messing with active military and retirees is not a smart way to go. Plus, in the grand scheme of things, 9 billion isn't that big of a savings (compared to the deficit, anyway).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 10:06am

I'm not sure I'm totally against the basic pay freeze, but I don't like that they also want to freeze BAH.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 10:15am

Yes, we're still going to be paid.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 11:01am

I wouldn't count on this going through just yet.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 11:41am

Okay that's what I thought but I didn't want to say what I'm about to and then look like an idiot. ;)

BAH, the 4 yrs I was in ATL my BAH barely flucuated, one year it went down (which was weird) then it went back to what it was and stayed there. Around $1400/month was what we got for housing in ATL.

Right NOW I don't really give 2 craps what my BAH is, I don't see it anyway. If the govt is only alloting $1400 (No my BAH didn't change at all moving from ATL to Deliverance- LOL) for MY housing and my housing magically starts costing $1600...whose problem is this? The govt's. If they do freeze BAH I anticipate a lot more people opting to live on post. Which I guess in theory saves them money so maybe that's what they're going for?

Base pay, I won't LIKE a freeze on that, but I'm guessing if during the 3yrs you get bumped to the next slot on the pay chart you WILL get that raise (the Time in Service raises) you just won't get the January raise. Which I can live with. I'm not thrilled about it but if it happens me giving myself an ulcer isn't going to change things. I live more than fine on the money we currently make if I have to make it work with that for 3 yrs...so be it. I'll do it.

I think this is one of those things that happen and people hear what it is and freak out without looking at the bigger picture. Like years ago gas prices went up like 10 cents a gallon and someone screamed and carried on "I won't be able to pay bills now! How will I buy food!"

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 12:30pm

Well said Dedi and ITA.

Kellie

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 1:19pm

The panel suggested many things, this was just one of quite a few so I am not really concerned. That being said, I do agree with most everything Dedi said except for the idea that more people can/will live on post.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 1:25pm

I wasn't suggesting that EVERYONE will move on post, I mean that if some people are on the fence about it that would likely be a deciding factor.

If someone doesn't want to live on post they won't, if they do they will. If they're on the fence, a BAH freeze may make the decision. KWIM?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-20-2010 - 4:47pm

I get what you're saying about the living on post thing and what not, but that isn't SUPPOSED to be the purpose of BAH so I don't understand how they can say they will freeze it. It's not supposed to be a set amount.

Photobucket

Pages