*~*Welcome Wagon for Sarah*~* sh87144

iVillage Member
*~*Welcome Wagon for Sarah*~* sh87144
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 7:58am

Here is your welcome wagon, where we will get to know you better. Please feel free to answer the questions that you are comfortable with and skip the rest.

A little about us....
Our wonderful board was created shortly after 9/11 with the intention of connecting with people in similar situations ~ being in a relationship with a ff. But because the board has been around for quite some time (our two fearless leaders have been here almost since the beginning), and many friendships have formed ~ we don't typically stick to topics that ONLY deal with our ff's but a variety of topics that we deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, please don’t let the closeness our board shares run you off. Before you know it you will feel part of these friendships, especially if you jump right in and post away. If there is a joke, or a word (we tend to have a dictionary all our own around here) or anything that you are confused about, please ask us.....we will be more than happy to tell the story over again....even if it means it is at the expense of someone’s embarrassment! ;)

Check out our "Firefighters Wives" web site too!

If you want to know more about any of us please feel free to ask or click on our user name to find out more about us.

Welcome again and we all look forward to getting to know you better!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 1:18pm

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1. Name: Sarah Holcomb
2. Where are you located? Rio Rancho, NM
3. Kids? (Names and ages) Sawyer Grace, almost 7 months
4. Is this where you are originally from? If not where? Originally, I was born in Canon City, CO, but my family moved to Albuquerque, NM when I was 7.
5. How did you find Fire Fighter Wives Board? Just looking through iVillage...
6. Do you go to any other board? If yes, which ones? I've been visiting some of the relationship boards lately because DH and I have been having some disagreements.
7. When is your birthday? October 30, the day before Halloween...
8. How old are you? 28
9. Where is your favorite place to visit/vacation? I love anywhere tropical. My goal for our next trip is somewhere in Mexico.
10. What's the farthest you've traveled? Belize
11. Do you have any hobbies? Photography, anything creative (so that includes quilting, sewing, framing, crafting - whatever I can find to keep myself busy when DH is on shift!)
12.What is your favorite holiday? I love Christmas!
13. What is your favorite season? I love them all - especially being in New Mexico, there's something beautiful about each one!
14. Do you work outside the home? If yes, what type of job? Yes, I'm an environmental scientist for the state Environment Department and I work to ensure that the rivers, streams and lakes around NM are clean. This includes some recent hot media topics, like pharmaceuticals in drinking water. Ask me about it if you're interested!
15. What is your favorite color ? Blue
16. What is your favorite animal? Dogs
17. What is your favorite food? Restaurant? My favorite food is sushi.
18. What is your favorite book/poem & author? I have so many favorite books, but most of all I love a good romance. Nicholas Sparks is a good one. I love mysteries too and recently have been reading a lot of James Patterson.
19. What is your favorite TV show? Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives.
20. What is your favorite movie? Right now, the Notebook.
21. What is your least favorite thing about being a FF W/SO? Some of the uncertainties that come with the job, like him being away from home for so long. And the fact that he likes to keep work at work and home at home - which makes me feel like he has a completely separate life that I know nothing about...
22. What is your favorite thing about being a FF W/SO? That I am so proud of my DH for what he does. It's always rewarding when I tell people that I'm married to a firefighter.
23. What would you like for us to know about you? That I'm a deeply devoted person and that I love to put other people first - not that it's always a good thing - but I always like to make sure everyone around me is happy.
24. If you were given the board to run as “Expert of the Day” - what would the topic be? Pretty much anything about water quality. :o)

ALL ABOUT HIM:

1. What’s his name: Seth Holcomb
2. Age? 27
3. How long has your DH/SO been a FF? Almost 5 years now.
4. How many stations are there? Umm.... 6 stations, I think.
5. How many Ffs at your DH’s department? I'm not sure, LOL
6. Does your FF have a second job? If yes, what or where? He was working as a mechanic for a company called First In, Inc (repairing firetrucks and cop cars) but now since the birth of our daughter, he stays home with her on his off days!!

ALL ABOUT THE TWO OF YOU

1. How did you and your DH/SO meet? And how long ago was that? We met at the end of 2001. We were set up on a blind date by a mutual friend!
2. If married, when? We were married January 10, 2004 at the White Sands National Monument near Alamogordo, NM.
3. Where did you go on your honeymoon, if you’ve gone - if you haven’t, where would you like to go? We went on a cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel... and we found another couple on that cruise that had also gotten married at White Sands the same day we did!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 4:52pm

Greetings Sarah :)

I'm Jami

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 5:53pm

Welcome!!

I'm Jennifer, dh Dan, married 16 yrs. 3 kidos, Amberly 13, Liberty 10 and Zachary 7, 2 fur babies, Lucy lab/retreiver mix, and Sally fiest.

Jennifer

sahm to the l

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 6:21pm

Welcome, I'm Sara married to Kelly a FT FF for 2 years (he

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 6:58pm

You've picked up on exactly the reason that I started coming to iVillage in the first place... I don't think it's healthy to keep both worlds separate either. I've told him in the past that there are things that I probably wouldn't be able to handle, like suicides and bad car crashes and things like that, but there's no reason he can't talk to me about the rest of it... There are other wives whose husbands talk about work to them, so often I hear things from them that I don't from DH which is frustrating for me. He just doesn't seem to understand that though.

DH and I having been having problems the past few months and I'm needing some support. I'll post the specifics in another thread so that it hopefully gets the attention I'm hoping for, but in general I think it'll be nice to "talk" with other FF wives and get perspectives on other things too.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 7:05pm
Hi Sarah! I'm Glynn (20) engaged to Z (23 in March). We live in Oklahoma, and he has been a paid volunteer for 3 years. He's currently in Paramedic school, and when we get married in 2010 he plans on going full time with the FD, and I am currently a college student with an impending Criminal Justice BA with a Computer Science AS.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 7:07pm

good, I'm glad you found us then!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 9:02pm

7. When is your birthday? October 30, the day before Halloween...My daughter's birthday is October 30th too! I call her my "mischeif witch" :)

And....she loves photography (I think it's becoming more than a hobby for her though! 11. Do you have any hobbies? Photography, anything creative (so that includes quilting, sewing, framing, crafting - whatever I can find to keep myself busy when DH is on shift!)

14. Do you work outside the home? If yes, what type of job? Yes, I'm an environmental scientist for the state Environment Department and I work to ensure that the rivers, streams and lakes around NM are clean. This includes some recent hot media topics, like pharmaceuticals in drinking water. Ask me about it if you're interested! We call the tap water here "Schuylkill Sludge"....or "Schuylkill Punch" You would have your hands full here!lol

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 11:35am

Welcome! I am Brenda. I am 37 years old (as of last week). I have been married to my DH, Mark for 10 1/2 years. We have a 15 year old son. Mark is a firefighter/EMT for a fire Department near Birmingham, AL. He loves being a firefighter, and I couldn't be more proud of him. Our son is working on his Eagle Scout Rank for the Boy Scouts. I am an Office Associate at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

I think that the guys need to be able to separate work and home a little bit, but not entirely. Hubby and I discuss lots of work issues at home, but when he has had a really bad call, he sometimes wants to give it time before he talks to me about it. Especially if it is a child or a teenager. They have to process it and accept what happened before they can discuss it. However, it isn't healthy to keep it all bottled up. This is a journey that you are both taking TOGETHER, and you need to be involved.

I am sure that you will love this board. These ladies are full of encouragement and inspiration. It really does help to know that you are not alone.

Welcome to the group!
Brenda