New Here - need advice as a real estate agent
Find a Conversation
|Sun, 01-12-2014 - 10:45am|
I'm fairly new as a real estate agent and I would like to know the following. I'm currently looking for an apartment for a soon to be divorced man. For future reference (not for this client), here are the questions:
1. Since a home can only be sold by the person(s) whose name(s) are on the title or deed, how does this work if a couple is getting divorced and both names are on the deed. In general, do couples seek a divorce attorney 1st or seek a realtor 1st to get an appraisal?
2. Do divorcing couples live in the house until it sells, then get divorced?
3. What about if one spouse moves out and the other spouse lives in the house? I know from talking to other agents, they have to communicate at the attorney's office with both parties present. Who decides which attorney's office and who makes appointments?
4. What about children and if it's during the school year? Do divorcing couples prefer having the house sold during the summer when schools are closed?
5. What questions should I keep my mouth shut about and what is appropriate to ask?
As you can guess, I'm just trying to educate myself so if at some point in the future, I have to sell or show homes to divorced singles or divorcing couples, I will know what to say and when to keep my mouth shut. Just trying to act appropriately.