Struggling with explosive behavior

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-05-2011
Struggling with explosive behavior
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 12:16pm

A little background:

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-18-2009
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 1:12pm

It's delusional for him to look at these episodes of violent behavior in his life and, instead of thinking HE might be the common denominator, blaming everyone else for exaggerating.

I think you should wait until your anger dies down and then talk with him during a time he is not upset. I would use these words:

"If you don't want to get counseling that's up to you, but this became a huge problem for me when you made me feel threatened physically. If you don't intend to make changes to your anger with a professional, I'm not going to stay in a house, or let my children stay in a house, where anger becomes physical. Please just do this for your family and for the sake of your job."

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-28-1999
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 4:14pm

I was going to suggest that he go to EAP.

Avatar for mhash
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 7:07pm
I totally agree. If he grabs you again, especially by the throat then get a restraining order. It does you or your children any good to witness or experience such violence.

Suggest a physical checkup as well for since this is recent behavior then *something* must have changed? because a chemical imbalance? Have him tell the doctor what is going on so he can run any specific tests that look for a possible cause.
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-20-2009
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 12:51am

If thi is new behavior, then of course something is wrong with him.