Ladies "Hair Down There" Tips?

iVillage Member
Ladies "Hair Down There" Tips?
Fri, 10-04-2013 - 11:25am

Hi!

I bet this topic never gets old; "The Hair Down There" one! 

About 90% of the time I've always kept the hair down there very short, "landing strip" style, which I refer to as "no. 1." This is most comfortable for me. There are occasions (the other 10%) where I shave everything bare except for the pubic bone area. I enjoy it because it feels great and looks visually more appealing to me BUT once the hair starts coming in I suffer through the awful itching, redness and unsightly bumps! I've tried everything imaginable to aid in this but nothing works, otherwise, I would much prefer this style or as I'd like to call "no. 2." My fiance seems to like no. 2, and I know this because he has a much different attitude sexually (as in he wants it more!)  though he never told me that or ever mentioned anything about how I keep everything tamed below. Coincidence? I've heard people say that you have to keep on doing it until the hair is "trained" but I've tried this and the result I got was terrible ingrown hairs and bumps that stayed for a couple of months! I can't even shave my underarms daily due to the same problem. At the earliest (3) days must go by before I touch anything again!

Any tips, advice, or anything would be great!

Community Leader
Fri, 10-04-2013 - 12:14pm
Have you tried waxing? I started waxing down there about 5 months ago because i was getting such itchy red bumps and razor burn and a few ingrown hairs here and there. I absolutely love it now, I get the occasional ingrown hair, and its almost always in the same sport, but I don't have to mess with shaving down there at all, and the hair down there had thinned out significantly in the wax area. My DH would love it if I did a brazillian, but I personally am not comfortable with that, so I stick with what they call the wine glass shape. And I agree with your theory, that's how my DH is.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-04-2013 - 2:43pm

Hello Arryl!

I've tried at-home waxing, several different brands and all I got was 50/50 done! It gets half, but just won't grab the other half, and then I'm left patchy and bizzare-looking. D= The hair took a bit longer to grow back, but still I endure the pain and agony of the hair coming back in. Professionally done, no, I have not done that and I don't think I could! That is probably my only option next to laser treatment. I hear professional waxing is quite pricey and you have to go often..? I can't afford anything too expensive. Even if I had the funds to do so I would have to sum up the courage to do it! I would be embarrassed, just a little, since I picture in my mind only gorgeous-looking, skinnier women getting it done professionally and I'm not in such good shape! 

EDIT: I thought what I had was called a "landing strip" but apparently it is called the "Bermuda Triangle" lol!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-04-2013 - 4:09pm
I keep mine completely shaved, we enjoy the feel of it. I shave everyday, or at least every other day. I use a shave cream I found at our local lingerie store called Coochy cream. It's the consistency of conditioner and helps to keep the irritation down. I also use a loofah to scrub off any dead skin cells before I shave. It helps to eliminate ingrown hairs and redness. It's also important that you use a sharp razor, change the blade often. It's not that hard to shave the pubic bone area once you get used to it. Trust me, the maintenance is well worth it ;)
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-05-2013 - 7:39am

Just for fun my BF and I both tried shaving completely bare a few months ago.  My pubic hair has always been thin and fine, so it was not that difficult to remove.   It looked and seemed strange at first, but the smoothness had a novelty to it that we both enjoyed.    I used a sharp razor and used aloe vera after otherwise I would get a little irritation.  He had more problems with bumps and used an unscented aftershave and aloe vera.   He kept his up longer than I did, we have since gone back to our normal state.

Community Leader
Wed, 10-09-2013 - 11:05am

babyblue_4 wrote:
<p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', sans-serif; font-size:x-small">Hello Arryl!</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', sans-serif; font-size:x-small">I've tried at-home waxing, several different brands and all I got was 50/50 done! It gets half, but just won't grab the other half, and then I'm left patchy and bizzare-looking. D= The hair took a bit longer to grow back, but still I endure the pain and agony of the hair coming back in. Professionally done, no, I have not done that and I don't think I could! That is probably my only option next to laser treatment. I hear professional waxing is quite pricey and you have to go often..? I can't afford anything too expensive. Even if I had the funds to do so I would have to sum up the courage to do it! I would be embarrassed, just a little, since I picture in my mind only gorgeous-looking, skinnier women getting it done professionally and I'm not in such good shape! </span></p>

I have seen women of every shape and size in the waxing place that i go to, I personally have never thought twice about it, but that's just me.  I have never tried the at home kind on my bikini area, I did try it on my legs and like you, have had patchy results and have not bothered since then.  In the beginning they recommend you go every 4-5 weeks, but the longer you do it, the less it grows in and you can stretch it farther.  I usually go every 6 weeks now.  I will take the tweezers every in a while and pull out a few longer stray hairs.  The place i go, they offered a 50% discount the first time you go, and then its around $28 plus tip I believe each time, plus any gratuity, but I know that it depends on how much you get done also, it can be more expensive.   They also offer credits to your account for each person you refer to them.  Good luck finding what's right for you!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-12-2013 - 6:55pm

I am also miserable in the growning back in stage (and I really only shave off what shows when I'm wearing underwear!)

I saved my pennies and bought a Groupon for Laser hair removal.  I noticed a big difference with only 4 treatments and it never grows back.  I'm saving up again to go back for more as I have a pretty big spread.  I don't really know how far down they are willing or able to laser...I've just been grooming my belly/crotch.  This summer I had a BF who really enjoy lotsof OS so I got brave and shaved the scraggly bits on my very upper inner thighs and my labia for the first time ever...found that the growing back in itchiness and bumps was not a problem that far down so I'll continue to maintain that on my own.

But seriously...laser removal is totally worth it.  Feels a bit like getting snapped by a rubber band and no discomfort at all once they are finished.  You can put your panties on and go right back to work and forget you even had it done.

sooooobig
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 11:28pm

I agree with the laser hair removal posts. It is SO worth it. It took me 5 sessions and then 2 minor touch up sessions. Now I don't have to worry about shaving or bumps