Says he has Herpes...

iVillage Member
Says he has Herpes...
Sat, 03-22-2014 - 10:39am

...but breakouts are very few & far between.  Takes Valacyclavir 1 mg - which is SUPPOSEDLY a greater dose than most.   Has taken it a long time & had a 2.5 yr sex relationship with no protection & she never seemed to get it.   Says he senses when he might have a break out & will use a condom.   He WILL use a condom at the least.

Does anyone really KNOW about this - ie have it, have a partner with it, etc?   WebMd has some studies when on a constant dose, partners not getting it, but Im thinking NO WAY can I trust this.  

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 9:29am

I'm not a medical person nor have much knowledge about it. What I would suggest is YOU speak to your medical provider. I wouldn't have sex without him using a condom.

28999825.jpg picture by nhgal2006

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2014 - 8:03am

Unlike most STDs, herpes in NOT spread through fluids(blood, semen, vaginal secretions etc). It is spread by skin to skin contact. While a condom can help, you could still contract herpes from him just by your/his hands moving back and forth between your bodies. Drugs can help reduce transmission rates. BTW acyclovir has been around much longer and is much cheaper than Valacyclvir. It does need to be taken more frequently because the body breaks it down faster. Personal experience. My wife has HSV1 and breaks out a couple of times per year on her lips. She does sense a breakout before she can see it. That area of the lip feels different as if the nerves are being tickled. Maybe your BF can feel something as well. When she feels it coming on, she takes acylocivr (does not take it daily year round) and also applies Abreva topically. These steps dramatically shorten and less the outbreak. I have never contracted it. Have we been careful, lucky, am I just immune???? Who knows.