Sex in nursing homes?

iVillage Member
Sex in nursing homes?
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 9:01pm

Do you think nursing homes should make provitions for thier elderley residents to engage in sex, for example, allowing residents to employ sex workers?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 12:26am

I am fine with mentally competent unmarried people in nursing homes having sex with each other. This already does happen in communities for the elderly--assisted living, etc. Hiring sex workers is currently illegal in most of the USA, so nursing homes can get in trouble for permitting it. Also, the idea of lecherous 83 year old men hiring 25 year old hookers just doesn't sit right with me.

Community Leader
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 3:19pm

Yes,  people don'tstop being humanbecause they age.  Having sex workes is also a great idea.

dragowoman

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-09-2013 - 1:50pm

My wife is a geriatric nurse in a nursing home.  Most of the folks are so sick or are suffering from Alzhiemer's badly enought that it never comes up at all. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 11:44am

I worked in a nursing home for several years!  They don't need to hire "sex workers".....both men and women, if they''re compos mentis, still enjoy sex.  I'm not in a nursing home, but I'm almost 78, and I still enjoy sex, probably more than when I was younger.  There are some nursing homes that have a room reserved for couples to use, and the room is usually busy.  There are also some married couples that share a room.  Sex isn't only for the young.......it keeps the elderly young and thinking young.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-14-2013 - 8:00am

I totally agree with you. There are always alternatives such as movies, toys and books. Have a family member make provisions for them to meet dates if necessary and safe for the patient. 

I love to travel and write. I have several blogs that I try to keep up with in my spare time.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-14-2013 - 8:05am

Ha Ha, I like your response. I am in my early 40's and I told my wife I hope we live to be in our 90's and still having sex. She asks me if I would still want sex with her at that age, I said "oh yeah, ur gonna always look hot and sexy to me baby". My grandfather is 98 and still healthy and living at home with an aide. I sure hope I can live this long along with my wife.

I love to travel and write. I have several blogs that I try to keep up with in my spare time.