2013 Vision

iVillage Member
2013 Vision
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 9:51am

I am not a big fan of New Year's resolutions, but a couple of years ago I was introduced to the idea of a vision board.  I do think that New Year's is a good time to be reflective, and visualize what I want the coming year to look like.  One time I actually cut pictures from magazines and made a board, but this year I think I am just going to jot things down in a journal.

So far, I am visualizing myself increasing my proficiency and confidence at my job and having a strong body that walks and does yoga.  I am going to focus on strengthening the good friendships in my life, and letting go of some relationships that aren't working.

Maybe it's a little early to start this thread, but I thought I'd see what other people like to do in terms of New Year's Resolutions, etc.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 1:24pm

It's funny you posted this, I watched a documentary on happiness the other night.  The main things I took away from it were plenty of regular exercise, meditation, and random acts of kindness.  I'd like to work on all three of those in the coming year.   

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 1:09pm

I had a vision board years ago too. I thought it was a fun excercise to indulge a bit in your dreams.  As far as acccomplishing things, I think if that works for the individual is fine. I prefer the affirmation, ETF method, and praying about it. I believe by repeating the wishes, concerns, etc...it opens you to God, your subconscious, and the bounty of the Universe to come up with a solution, insight, and whatever it takes to make things happen.   

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 11:53am
I'm not one to start things on New Year's --I need to get motivated to do something whenever it comes to me so I'll stick with it. The vision board thing does sound interesting though--it might be helpful to have visual reminders. I started looking for a new job a few months ago so that it my main goal for 2013.
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 11:27am
I made a vision board a few years ago and it has been great. I didn't look at it with a single year in mind, but more of a my life present and future. I opted for a collage style and gathered magazines from everywhere and cut out things that I knew I wanted to achieve or change, things that I wanted to be open to achieving or changing, and things that just resonated with me and I wasn't sure why. When I was done I ended up with two attached poster boards creating a vision board filled with pictures, words, and phrases that all represent something that is to come whether it is literal, figurative, or metaphorical. I covered all aspects of my life....career, school, relationships, finances, health, travel, creativity, and well being. Some of the things on there have started to happen or already happened which is wonderful. Some of the things that resonated with me that I didn't understand are now starting to make sense. The one thing I didn't expect was for things to change and lead me to one day rip a few things off of the board and replace them with other images or phrases. Overall the board has been a wonderful inspiration to me and I keep it in my closet office so that I can see it everyday for long periods of time. I would tell anyone to go for it and just broaden your idea of what it should or could be so that you don't stifle the creative process. Don't ask a lot of questions, just collect things that speak to you for any reason and stick them on there.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-22-2012 - 10:50am

Hi;

I think that is a great idea although I did have a vision board years ago and not sure if it worked .. Maybe I didnt do it right although I must say that at times when I am feeling down I do get alot of what is called synchronicity in my life.. Not sure if that is the same thing as what I want like a relationship and a job but good things do happen to me.. Unfortunately the bad happens but that is life

I know they have meetings and classes where they actually teach people how to do a vision board.. and maybe I could check into that.

You have nothing to lose so good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.