Asking my boyfrien to marry me 2/29/04

iVillage Member
Asking my boyfrien to marry me 2/29/04
Fri, 02-06-2004 - 12:11am
I intend to ask my boyfrien to marry me at the end of this month.I thought of what I am going to do. My boyfriend loves anything that has to do with the Titanic. In Tampa FL(I live in Jacksonville) they are having a Titanic exhibit until April. I plan to buy a package that includes tickets to this and 1 night in a nice Hotel. I went to timelessmessage.com , they have some great things including a message in a bottle. When we are at the exhibit and we are able to get away from everyone else I want to give him a present, which will be the bottle. the message inside is so great. I read the one they had for proposals and it said exactly what I want to say to him. I think he will love it!!

What do you think? Please let me know!!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2004 - 11:06am
It sounds like a great idea. If you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions.

1> How long have you been going out?

2> Have you talked about marriage?

You idea is original and fun. Best of luck to you. Congratulations for finding somebody that you can spend the rest of your life with.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2004 - 8:31pm

Best wishes to you!

Just a side note: I asked my DH to marry me and gave him a ring to wear (mine would've been purchased second), but even though he was excited and said yes at first, he told me later to take the ring back because HE wanted to propose to ME. He said he was a traditionalist and felt funny about me asking him.

In the end, it didn't really matter, we got married anyway...but I just wanted to prepare you.

Sounds like a very neat way to propose! I hope he says yes and means it!

*Rebecca*

Rebecca
Loving wife to David (3-2

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 1:46am
First off let me say"Good Luck and Congratulations"....i think that proposing to your boyfriend is a very sweet gesture but don't you think that you are taking that away from him? Do you know if he was planning on doing this to you???? Anyway, i do hope that it is spectacular and he loves it.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 1:48pm
I have to agree with the others, here.

Have you spoken with your BF seriously about marriage in the past, or will this come as a complete shock to him?

And while it may not bother your guy, a large percentage of guys would be upset that their gals proposed to them instead of vice versa. Have you considered this?

Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do! Keep us posted!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 3:29pm
Hey there...I just wanted to tell you I think that's cool, asking your guy to marry you. There's nothing wrong with the ladies taking the bull by the horn:-)!

Also, in one of the newspaper magazine inserts this past weekend, they had an article about just that--women proposing. You might be able to find it online still. It was in either USA Weekend (which I think is http://www.usaweekend.com) or Parade magazine (which is probably http://www.parade.com). You might want to do a web search though--I'm not sure about the web addresses.

Good luck! Let us know how it went!

~Amy