Just stopping in to say hi

iVillage Member
Just stopping in to say hi
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 8:10pm
Glad to see a board up about the SBD. I haven't purchaed the book yet, but I am very curious. What are the differences between SBD and the Atkins Plan? I have been following the Atkins Plan since early March and have lost just over 30 lbs, but I'm interested in learning more about this way of eating as well-- I keep seeing advertisements about it, but it sounds a lot like Atkins from the little I have read.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 11:37pm
Matrigna,

Hi! And Welcome...:)

The Atkins has it's on 4 Phases...which I'm sure you know. SBD has 3. Atkins is eating fat and very low to no carb. SBD is good fat/good carbs. I'm not putting down Atkins diet b/c I know it has helped some. But I personally feel that SBD is healthier and easier to follow. I urge you to get the book,it would be the worth it.

Please stay with us and join in...we would love to have you.

cl-michelle81663

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 8:36am
SBD is a whole foods plan - no (or severely limit) processed foods, no protein bars/drinks, etc..

SBD's 2 week phase one is low carb like atkins but it's LEAN low carb not FATTY low carb -lean meats and LF or FF cheeses. Good fats like oils are encouraged. Also you can have carbs in the form of chick peas and black beans. and no alcohol.

In phase two it's a great nutritional plan - most fruits, most veggies, whole grains (no white bread), lean meats and you can drink wine. (still no potato, white pasta, corn and other startchy stuff)

Phase 3 is maintenance after you finish losing - still a whole foods approach - you can have corn potato and sweets and stuff - just on a "every once and a while" basis.

Good luck!

Sandra

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 9:21am
I've never tried the Atkins WOE but I purchased the SBD book, read it, and thought it would be easier for me to follow. The fact that I can have so many different vegetables right off the bat, really roped me in. I've heard a lot about people on Atkins suffer a lot from constipation, but the vegetables I've been able to eat on the SBD have prevented that from happening with me. I'm on day 5 and still doing great.

Debra