iVillage Member
Serenity Prayer
Thu, 08-23-2007 - 3:27pm

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

So few words, yet so profound...

When I first had to face the shambles my life had become I could not even memorize this little prayer...honestly, it took me about a year (and its not like you haven't heard it before or seen it on some wall hanging somewhere) - I was just numb.

I stumbled on words like "accept" - nothing that had happened was "acceptable" to me! My program helped me to re-define what "accept" meant. It is about the past, things that cannot be undone, no matter how hard we try or wish for it to be different.

It helps me to remember I can only control my own reactions/responses to situations and need to leave the rest alone. It also encourages me to to behave responsibly in my own conduct and be willing to address my shortcomings and make changes.

Feel free to post comments or thoughts...

iVillage Member
In reply to: mercyblu
Thu, 08-23-2007 - 9:32pm
Another thing I heard about acceptance made it really clear for me:
"Acceptance does not mean approval." I may not like something the way it is, but I must accept I cannot change anything except myself.
I loved your post - you are such a welcome addition to this family - I am glad you are here!
Leslie
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2007 - 12:03am
Thanks. Its nice to be welcomed and to be able to share experience, strength and hope with those still in the despair phase of the disease.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2007 - 3:16pm
I agree completely with Leslie.