Understanding this

iVillage Member
Understanding this
Wed, 09-26-2007 - 10:53pm

My uncle has been battling addiction pretty much his whole life, from what I understand from my dad (it's his little brother) and my other uncle. He has to be the center of attention; he craves attention. He is a very selfish man, but underneath all of this I know there is a good-hearted man there. He has two children who are in the same college as myself. I am a senior while they are a junior and sophmore. He has gone through both of their inheritances and has now pawned his vehicle and has not paid that loan off. His oldest child, a girl, is now blaming herself; she feels like she squealed on her dad and it's killing her. I have seen other family members go through this vicious cycle of addiction; I know what it does to our family and I am sick of it! I have had one uncle committ suicide in a jail cell due to a drug addiction. I am scared to death that this uncle will head in that direction.

My question is this: What do I say to my cousins? How do I become their pillar of strength? My dad is the oldest, and successful and wonderful. I have a stable, happy family. I feel so terrible that my sweet cousins are watching their dad go through this; I am just hurting for them.

Please- any advice/suggestions/prayers and thoughts would be more than appreciated.

Thank you, Sarah

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2007 - 8:26pm
Just make yourself available to them. Be supportive. That's all they need from you. You can't shelter them from this, but being available is something you CAN do!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2007 - 8:32pm

Sarah,