New here and need to vent

iVillage Member
New here and need to vent
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 6:49pm

The addict. The addict sucks you in, takes all of your energy and makes you want to run away. Both my sister and brother in law are alcoholics for the last fifteen years. Brother in law is in rehab and the hospital more than what he is out, my sister spends most of her time in jail for harassing my seventy six year old mother, they blame the world for their problems and makes life a living hell for the other family members.

My son is getting married next month and because of them, I have to worry that either my sister will show up, which I haven't seen in seven years, and of course, god only knows what she would do, and worry that we will have to bury my brother in law before the wedding.

They make me want to move far, far away. I don't cause these addicts any problems, I don't call on a daily bases with some crisis, why do they bother me?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 7:45pm

Hello Ginacar2007

I am Beth, one of the cls here. Welcome

It truly stinks that your sister and brother in law are interfering in this joyous time. It also stinks that they will not get with it and get sober. Unfortunately, more don't make it then do.

I would imagine that you are stressed to death and that time is not available right now, but after the wedding you might want to consider AlAnon.

As for her showing up at the wedding, are there a couple of people you can trust to just say, please, watch out and if she comes, turn her away?

Prayers for you and a wonderful day for your son

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 9:57pm
I am Brenda and I have to agree totally with Beth.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 8:57am
Yes, that's exactly what we plan on doing, only we're going to take it a step further and tell my mom, because my mom still has a relationship with her and tells her everything, that we are going to have plain clothed police officers at the wedding. My sister is crazy and I wouldn't put it past her to bring a gun.