My husband- Rx drug addict...

iVillage Member
My husband- Rx drug addict...
Sun, 08-31-2008 - 12:41am

My husband is an Rx drug addict. He gets a prescription from his doctor for Percocet, and when that's gone he buys, barters, borrows more pills from friends and family.

I don't think he knows that I know so much but I'm not stupid. I have seen a few pills here and there and looked them up online. He rarely has them in the house. I think he keeps them in his car and shop. I have seen Methadone, Vicodin, and today, Morphine. When I found the Morphine in his shop (yes, I snooped, what else am I to do?) there was quite a few and I disposed of them. Later when he noticed he came in and said he saw neighbor kids in our yard last night and now he has a few muscle relaxers missing from his shop. I didn't tell him what I did. I have confronted him before and he just denies everything, plus he would go ballistic if he knew I was snooping and I really didn't want to deal with that today.

I am thinking of contacting his doctor and letting him know what is going on. I believe he is on a pain contract where he is not supposed to take anything that's not prescribed. He was getting a pee test once in a while, but I don't think he had one for some time. He did get caught with a dirty one once and the "board" of physicians had to review his case before they would give him any more drugs.They did though. Actually a few years ago my husband switched doctors because his former doctor misdiagnosed a back condition. Also, that doctor wouldn't prescribe narcotics because he knew of my husbands previous illegal drug addiction. It has gone downhill ever since. I honestly don't think my husband switched doctors just to get better drugs, he just got addicted once he got them. He had been clean for about 13 years before this.

On the flip side of that, if I turn him in and his doctor won't prescribe the drugs, he'll just spend more money on getting them illegally, lie even more about where his money is going, and will put us more in a financial bind.

Our marriage is pretty much over. I just want out. I am too old (39) to put up with his crap anymore. I am just having a very hard time getting caught up on bills so I can round up enough money to get out. He is self employed but it is very slow right now for him, I partially blame the addiction. He is also "looking" for a regular job but I'm sure he can't pass a drug test. So money is tighter than it has ever been.

I know this is just rambling on. I guess what I'd like to know is should I tell his doctor about his addiction? Would it be confidential? Should I turn him and the people he gets the drugs from into the police? How do I get the money scraped together to get out? We do have one 15 year old still at home, and that's part of the reason why I don't just go off on my husband and tell him all I know and what I think of him. When I leave our son would go with me, no question.

Any advise would be most helpful. Thanks for reading this long post.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-31-2008 - 9:18am
Hi and welcome to the board.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2008 - 7:22am

I have a friend of 22 years who just recently went through rehab for prescription drug abuse/addiction.

"OMG, I got engaged, the world will never be the same!...."

&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2008 - 8:08am

Hello and welcome

Please know that we are here for you. I agree with Brenda, take care of yourself and your 15 year old.

Peace to you. We are here.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2008 - 11:24am

Thank you for all your kind words and support. I am going to look up when and where there are Al-Anon meetings and try to get up the nerve to go. I am SO NOT a joiner, but I will try. It helps having people who understand, here on this board or in person.

Thanks again.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2008 - 8:29pm

"I am SO NOT a joiner, but I will try."

Neither am I, but I

"OMG, I got engaged, the world will never be the same!...."

&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2008 - 9:59pm

Welcom, glad you are here.