Alcholic dad

iVillage Member
Alcholic dad
Tue, 09-23-2008 - 8:00pm
Hi all! I'm new, so I guess I'll just jump right in for now :)

My parents are still married, and recently moved to a beautiful home. I have a younger brother (18) who still lives at home. My dad has always been an alcoholic. For the last 20 years he has been drinking once maybe every few years. He would drink so much vodka, where we would never know what was going to happen.... He has physical and mental health problems now. If he drinks he really is going to kill himself or yet kill someone else while driving or whatever.

My mom gave me tough love growing up. Today I had to give tough love to my dad. I'm not going to let him drink himself to death without a fight. I don't want to loose him. My mom feels the same way. This crap is so frustrating. My mom and I really layed into my dad... seriously some hardcore tough love but at least he's not going to drink today and I have faith that this situation has passed - at least for a couple months.

... sorry if this is hard to understand... it's kind hard to explain but thanks for listening and letting me vent... *sigh*

Photobucket

Edited 9/23/2008 8:02 pm ET by raysgirl95

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: raysgirl95
Tue, 09-23-2008 - 8:55pm

Hello and welcome.

Do you and your Mom go to AlAnon, it is for family and friends of alcoholics. It might help.

Welcome to our board, we are here to help.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 10:29am

Welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 5:34pm
Thanks for the welcome. I have never been to alanon. What's it like?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-29-2008 - 8:42pm

I'm sorry Nicole....you can not help your father.

You can love your father and pray that he won't kill himself...but you can not stop him from drinking.

About 5 years ago...my youngest son (now 19)

Missy