venting and need some advice

iVillage Member
venting and need some advice
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 12:39am
My dad doesn't drink anymore. He really really wants to, he tells us all the time. So instead of drinking alcohol he drinks coke. He's also a diabetic. Tonight my mom dropped him off at the Emergency room because once again he is going into liquid overdose. His actions are just so crazy and strange to me and my family. I am so sick of trying to help him not drink and to take care of himself. I know my mom feels the same way x 10! All my dad does is drink soda all day, listen to rock and roll on his headset, and act weird. It like he has no smarts left. You can't even have a normal conversation with him. He doesn't understand because the alcohol has sucked him dry. He's like a dry drunk. I'm tired of trying to make sure he does the right thing. He just doesn't want to. He's weak.My family has been involved in a church that is also a drug and alcohol program for the last 14 years or so. My mom has made friends there and got help for herself with Alanon. My dad/mom go to this place every Sunday. I on the other hand have no one to talk to about my dad, so I'm really glad I found this board! Can anyone relate or offer me some advice?
Thank you for reading!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 9:01am

Hi there,

I am so sorry you are feeling this way.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 1:04pm

Thanks for your reply Brenda! You have a way with words, that are very comforting and It makes sense! I will continue to post here. I look forward to sharing more and getting to know you as well. I saw the link to the online meetings, very cool!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 3:04pm

Update:

My dad is out of the hospital. My mom picked him up at 6am. My dad was happy as ever cuase he was given Adavan all night. We are really upset that the ER would give him tranquilizers. If they would have looked into his medical history it says not to give him those type of drugs because he is an addict. *sigh* so my mom had to buy the drugs and then she flushed them down the toliet, so my dad could not get his hands on them. It's always something when you dealing this an addict. There doesn;t seem like much I can do except prayer. I'm sure I will have more questions for the board though later. Thanks again.

Photobucket

Photobucket