My dad is an alcoholic.

iVillage Member
My dad is an alcoholic.
Wed, 10-15-2008 - 2:29pm
I am so lost on what to do right now. Over the last 3 months he's had alot of alcoholism-related symptoms/illnesses. Yesterday he was told that he needs to stop drinking completely or he'll die in the next 2 yrs. His body just can't take it anymore. He's been lying to his doctors for years, saying he drinks 2-3 beers a night. It's more like a case and a fifth of whiskey a night. His doctor confronted him, told him that he knows it's more than what he's admitted to, he's been lucky so far, but his luck has run out. I've tried talking to him repeatedly. I've begged. I've gotten angry. I've cried. I just don't know what to do now.

Photobucket

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2008 - 4:08pm

I am so sorry for you and your family.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2008 - 6:45pm
Thanks, Brenda, and you're right, I can't do this for him. As much as I'd like to shake him until he realizes what he's doing to himself, me, and his grandchildren. I'm used to being the one to fix things...I just wish I could fix this. I appreciate any insight you can offer-I'm going to look into Al-Anon meetings. I guess I'll find out days/times for AA for him and hope for the best. Michelle

Photobucket

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2008 - 7:42pm

Keep posting Michelle.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2008 - 4:16pm

Hello and welcome

Like Brenda, I am an alcoholic. No one could do for me, no one.

Please keep in touch, we will help you whatever way we can.